50 quart Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hell Brew

Reaction score
Just picked up a 50 quart Maxcold cooler from Academy for $25:ban: All grain here I come. Should I go ahead and spring for the stainless steel ball valve, also anyone see any problem with using the Bazooka Screen instead of a braid?

Bazooka screen costs a lot more. I fitted my Igloo 48qt with (non-S/S) ball valve and DIY toilet-supply S/S braid for about 13 bucks total, all parts found at Menards.

Coworker of mine did dual Bazooka screens in his Igloo 48qt with a custom CPVC 3/4" manifold..... but he spent $40 on screens alone.

I like saving money though, after how friggin' much I spend on other stuff. Like ingredients. And kegging equipment.

Not really. Well. ...... OK, it's not that simple.

"Large" meaning a fairly full 1.060 beer, with about 14 lbs total grain weight, no problem at all. Easy.

"LARGE" meaning the 08-08-08 RIS I brewed yesterday, 1.088 with 17.7 lbs grain weight ... it was still decidedly under the max volume of my mash tun, but it was on the full side. I couldn't go higher than probably 19, maybe 20 total lbs grain weight.

For the RIS, my dough-in was 5.5 gal, and my sparge was 3.75 gal. The sparge was definitely close to overflowing. Two 2-gal batch sparges could have been helpful.

I use the Coleman Xtreme 70 quart for 10 gallon batches. There is a lot of room in there! IMHO, it is too big for 5 gallons. Remember, 70 quarts = 17.5 gallons. That's darn near twice the size of the 10 gallon coolers that a lot of people use.

Thanks for the input guys. Thats what I like about this forum, someone else has already spent the money and found the right equipment.:rockin:

Wables said:
I use the Coleman Xtreme 70 quart for 10 gallon batches. There is a lot of room in there! IMHO, it is too big for 5 gallons. Remember, 70 quarts = 17.5 gallons. That's darn near twice the size of the 10 gallon coolers that a lot of people use.

I have the 80qt and it has worked just fine when I do 5 gallons. It's not that big really. It's just tall and long but not very wide so you still get a good grain bed.

If you are batch sparging, a shallow grain bed in a big cooler works just fine. The only difficulty would be heat loss from the large surface area relative to the depth of the grain.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

I like copper manifolds over braided lines, but that's me. Maybe it's the level of pita work that goes into it :)

Back