3 gallon batch in 5+ gallon fermentors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiscoMan

Reaction score
I am looking to brew a scaled down batch and all I have are large buckets/carboy that I use for full sized batches.

Will I still be able to ferment in my current equipment without worrying about all the extra head space?

I plan to brew a 2.5 - 3 gallon batch and use 5 gallon equipment.

I use a 6.5 gallon fermenter for a 5 gallon batch. And... I aerate with pure oxygen before pitching, so plenty of oxygen in the space. I wouldn't be afraid to try it.

Sounds great. Thanks for the responses. I may try to go even smaller with the batch size and pick up some water jugs from Meijer or Walmart. Has anyone tried fermenting in a 2 or 3 gallon water jug bought from the store? I know that you need the good PET plastic like #1

I, too, recently wanted to do smaller batches. My last two have been 3.5 gallons into the 6.5 carboy. I figured to primary in it shouldn't be a problem, due to any oxygen in the headspace will be replaced by Co2 from fermentation. So far all turned out great. =)

I do 3 gal batches all the time in an 8 gal fermenter. I've never had a problem. That head space probably fills with CO2 which acts as a barrier. That's the way I see it.

Should be no problem - the only danger might be for a really long secondary. Assuming it's a normal beer you should be great. I do small beers all the time with leftover runnings. I often end up with 2.5-3 gallons of extra wort. I ferm them in whatever I have handy - which is usually between 5 and 6.5 gallons.

Back