Wet Layer of Yeast on Krausen - is this normal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewklyn

Reaction score
I'm only on my 3rd brew so sorry for all the quesions. It's been a week and a day since i pitched brewed and pitched my yeast (made a starter from a vial of liquid) into a smoked porter. White foamy krausen rose up and started to settle which was great but now there is a layer of wet, gooey yeast floating on top that does not seem to be going away. Is this a normal occurance? I've tried to do some searches but haven't been able to find anything.

I'm not so much worried as i most likely wont touch it for another 2 weeks but rather curious as this is not what the krausen looked like on my last 2 batches.

Thanks again.

sounds normal. give it a little shake and I bet the yeast will start to drop to the bottom. Do not bottle until you have given it plenty of time to settle out

I'll try giving it a shake. In the mean time, here are some pics...

rsz_img_3468.jpg

rsz_img_3469.jpg

that looks identical to the layer i had on my dubbel using wyeast trappist high gravity yeast. Took it like 3 weeks to start to fall out, even when i bottled some of it was still left on top but the beer turned out great. I would be willing to bet that your beer will turn out fine too.

Thanks guys, good to know. I'll let you know how it comes out...should i wait for it to fall before taking any gravity readings, racking to secondary or bottling bucket?

Nothing to worry about! RDWHAHB! That is perfecty normal despite not happening during every ferment. All yeasts are different as you will learn in your brewing journey. They all ferment differently from the next. Looks like your fermentation is going strong!

Back