Vorlauf Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tech211

Reaction score
I realize that this post is similar to another recent post, but I was wondering, do a few small bits per pint after vorlauf matter? I care mostly about astringency.

You'll never notice astringency with that amount of grain getting through. As for your problem...it's your new cooler.

Your manifold needs to be custom designed to fit whatever cooler you're using. It sounds like your grain bed is too shallow and isn't settling as nicely as it did in the 10 gallon cooler.

It's probably because of the change in tun geometry. The grain bed is now closer to the bottom of the cooler in the new rectangular Coleman Extreme. Also, the shallower depth allows for the disturbance in the grain bed caused by vorlaufing to go to the bottom of the cooler easier.

I doubt a few bits like that are going to cause tannin issues, especially if it's not husk.

It's probably because of the change in tun geometry. The grain bed is now closer to the bottom of the cooler in the new rectangular Coleman Extreme. Also, the shallower depth allows for the disturbance in the grain bed caused by vorlaufing to go to the bottom of the cooler easier.

I doubt a few bits like that are going to cause tannin issues, especially if it's not husk.

That makes sense. Perhaps I'll try pouring over a plate just to see what happens.

Latest posts

Back