beer tools water calculation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defenestrate

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i've been using beer tools for about 8 months now, but i never used the water calculator...i stuck with brew365 for that. i just have one question. when calculating the sparge and run off, it asks for total volume infused and your grain weight and gives you what your run off should be with the given amount of sparge water. when inputing the total volume infused, are you supposed to input your strike water and mash out water only( i dont do a mash out though so no worries there) or the total mash volume that you are given when calculating the strike water? i assume its just the water only, becuase i think it calculates the run off using your mash water + sparge+ grain weight...but i'm just making sure. thanks guys!

I'm having trouble figuring out if you mean beertools on the web or Beertoolspro the software. If it's the software, are you using a batch sparge or a fly sparge on the schedule?

I'm having trouble figuring out if you mean beertools on the web or Beertoolspro the software. If it's the software, are you using a batch sparge or a fly sparge on the schedule?

sorry, the software. i'm not making a schedule, i'm using the calculator thats in the window drop down. (the mash calculator is one of a few tabs including SG, SRM, %utilization, etc) am i making sense?

Ok, I got ya now. Total volume infused it all water infused not including sparge so that would be strike and mashout. Then again, it doesn't really matter. You could just enter all water infused in the total and leave the sparge volume blank. What this is really calcuating for you is total runoff (which subracts the grain absorption).

The schedule provides a much more comprehensive picture. You should use it.

i would really like to use the schedule but i'm on a mac and i have one of those stupid one button mouses and i cant right click :( i think i'll have to pick up another mouse.

i would really like to use the schedule but i'm on a mac and i have one of those stupid one button mouses and i cant right click :( i think i'll have to pick up another mouse.
Option click, or there should be a setting in the keyboard / mouse pref pane to define a right clicking area on the mouse. I assume you are using a mighty mouse.

Back