Forgot to add 1 lb clear candi syrup...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGowls

Reaction score
I brewed a belgian tripel from an extract kit about 4 hours ago and just realized that I forgot to add one of the bags of candi syrup that came with the kit. Recipe was: 7 lb Briess pilsen dme, .5 lb dingemanns aromatic malt, 3 oz biscuit malt and 2 lb of clear candi syrup. Can anyone tell me what effects the missing pound of candi syrup will have and if it would be possible for me to boil the syrup in water and add to the fermenting wort? Would doing this even have any positive effect? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

You'll be fine. Often times with tripels the sugar additions are saved until the bulk of the malt fermentation is complete anyways. I'd probably wait until fermentation slows down a bit then boil it, cool it and then add it. You wouldn't hurt yourself by doing it now either though.

No problem to add it to fermenter. In fact, for some of us, that's the preferred method. I usually wait until primary fermentation starts to slow, then add the candi syrup.

Actually it was a good mistake to make. I often wait for the fermentation to slow then add the sugar. The theory is that the yeast eats the harder to ferment sugars, then you add the easier to ferment sugars. It is like making a kid eat their meal before you give them desert.

Let it go a couple of days and then add it.

Back