Take a look at this please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Hey all. This is a picture of a one gallon Belgian Blonde Ale. I tried a one gallon BIAB for this one. This after two weeks in a plastic fermenter. I took a sniff and it totally burned my nose. I ended up transferring it to a glass fermenter just because. Took another sniff after the transfer and definitely no harmful smell at all. Does this picture look normal?

102_1952.jpg

The white chunks seem a little odd, but is probably yeast. Let it run it's course and see if anything more happens.What strain of yeast did you use?

The burn, there is nothing quite like your first sniff of CO2 . Pop that cap or lid and take a huge sniff. You quickly learn to never do that again. As for your picture, that's not anything to worry about,

Its probably the belgian yeast. Otherwise in a more cleaner strain that would seem to look infected. If I was brewing in plastic I would keep the belgian batches seperate from your non-belgian batches. I think I had some carry over from using belgian yeast with the next few batches.Same with tubing make shure you clean them well with pbw or something or keep them seperate from non-belgian batches.
You burning your eyes is an indicator that you didnt loose your co2 blanket until now maybe, I would rack it soon that is if you have a finish not dropping more.

The burn was definitely CO2. My first and last time was when I lost a full 5lb tank in my kegerator due to a bad connection. I stuck my head down into the freezer and almost passed out on the spot. Its the kind of thing you dont do twice.

Like the others have said CO2 is a one time experience you won't ever forget. Stuck my head over a fermenter I was cleaning out and my eyes burned, lungs burned, got light headed and almost fell off my ladder. Stepped outside for 5 minutes to clear the lungs and get my head back together and have made sure to keep my nose below the rim of any open fermenter that has not been properly cleared...and be wary of ones that have.

If I was brewing in plastic I would keep the belgian batches seperate from your non-belgian batches. I think I had some carry over from using belgian yeast with the next few batches.Same with tubing make shure you clean them well with pbw or something or keep them seperate from non-belgian batches.

You need to re look at your cleaning/sanitation if your having issues like that. While some bugs may get pass a good job, yeast should not.

You need to re look at your cleaning/sanitation if your having issues like that. While some bugs may get pass a good job, yeast should not.

one reason I use Saniclean in my bottling bucket, kegs, and all my lines after a good cleaning. separate stuff for my sours.

on a side note: when someone says, "Take a look at this" most times it's something you won't want to see. I'm just sayin'. quaffable.

Back