Russian Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EatWell

Reaction score
I'm brew a partial brew of a RIS, anything that I should be aware of? I asked this question about two weeks ago about a Saison that is in fermentation and got a lot a GREAT info. So I thought I would ask the same question about the RIS. THANKS TO ALL that helped me with the Saison, took a gravity reading and drank the 'sample' pretty good if I do say so! So any little tid-bits that could help in this stout, it would be great. Thanks.

Typical high gravity stuff: mash low (145-150), mash long (90 mins), boil long (if you want to), hop relatively heavy, pitch a lot of yeast (make a large starter or pitch multiple packets of dry yeast), oxygenate thoroughly (consider a second dose of oxygen after the first 18 hours), feed the beer nutrients, keep fermentation cool (below 68) for the first 3 or 4 days, allow the beer to warm slightly as fermentation finishes, be patient (RISs take a good while to reach final gravity, carbonate and perhaps most importantly mellow and condition.) My last RIS was brewed over a year ago and (thankfully) most of the batch is untouched -- and the stuff is black gold now.

Typical high gravity stuff: mash low (145-150), mash long (90 mins), boil long (if you want to), hop relatively heavy, pitch a lot of yeast (make a large starter or pitch multiple packets of dry yeast), oxygenate thoroughly (consider a second dose of oxygen after the first 18 hours), feed the beer nutrients, keep fermentation cool (below 68) for the first 3 or 4 days, allow the beer to warm slightly as fermentation finishes, be patient (RISs take a good while to reach final gravity, carbonate and perhaps most importantly mellow and condition.) My last RIS was brewed over a year ago and (thankfully) most of the batch is untouched -- and the stuff is black gold now.

:off: I just brewed an Imperial Irish Stout tonight. I don't think I can wait a year. You have great patience!

Back on topic, I agree with all of the above!

BrewerBear said:
Also use a blowoff tube instead of airlock

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I brewed it and it is going great. It would have been a messy and UGLY if I didn't take your advise. It is going crazy! So thanks!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I brewed it and it is going great. It would have been a messy and UGLY if I didn't take your advise. It is going crazy! So thanks!

Mine went crazy too! I had my first airlock blow-out! I don't know why I didn't put a blow off tube from the get-go! Just habit I guess. This is the strongest fermentation I have ever experienced! :mug:

Mine blew the lid off the bucket. Also give it plenty of time. I have one that I brew last May or June and has been in the bottle since I think October and it is dang good.

Back