Homebrew Stores in Cleveland/Youngstown/Pittsburgh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to be in Youngstown for 6 days, starting next Tuesday. I will only have carry-on luggage (so I can't buy yeast to take home), but I would love to pick up a few odds and ends like 5# of crystal malt.

I know there is a brewstore in Struthers, OH. I believe there is a large one in Akron? I thought I'd go to Akron, to go to a brewpub (any advice on where?), and to a LHBS if one is close by.

Otherwise, a day trip to Pittsburgh or Cleveland would be fun, too. I'll be hanging out with my dad. He'd probably be up for a small day trip.

If in Akron I would definitely visit Grape and Granary. Great selection and very knowledgeable staff. Don't know of any brewpubs to visit though. I'll have to ask my father-in-law if he knows of any since he lives up there.

From my experiences, I would say Grape and Granary is the best HB store in Cleveland/Akron. If youre looking to make a day trip though, including BrewPub and LHBS, you have great options in Cleveland. Fatheads Brewing Co, Beer Engine, Brew Kettle & Great Lakes Brewing Co will give you great beer and great food and depending on which you chose you will drive past either Leeners in Northfield or JW Dover in Westlake. Both should have what you're looking for.

:mug:

Thirsty Dog in Akron, for a Brewpub. Never been there, but the drafts I've had in PGH from there are tasty. Grape and Granary in Akron is really good for supplies. South Hills Brewing for a PGH brew shop. There's a brew shop in Kent too...can't remember the name, but you'd think they would be pretty good since it's Kent...the home of LD Carlson.

I live in Cleveland and travel to Akron/Kent frequently.

Homebrew stores: Grape and Granary in Akron, JwDover in Westlake. Those are the two best around. I'd say they are about equal but I go to JwDover because it's closer and I really like the beer the make in their brewery that's just behind the storefront.

Places to drink in Akron: Hoppin' Frog, Thirsty Dog. Both are great.
Cleveland: Gotta go to Great Lakes Brewing Company, a new place right next to GLBC just opened up called Market Gardens, then there is Happy Dog.

Just a few I could think of right off the top of my head.

The place in Kent is called Abruzzo's. I've never been there, but my neighbor goes there for his wine making supplies. I call the Grape & Granary my LHBS, and would suggest stopping in there. Its only about 10 minutes from work. Although not a big store square footage wise, they have everything you could need I think. They have a nice looking wine tasting room in the front, but I've never been in there.

Everyone else has already named all the places I could think of. Akron has Thirsty Dog and Hoppin Frog. Cleveland has Great Lakes Brewery and all the other places named. There is a nice marketplace across the street from GLB, called the Westside Market. I think they are only open certain days, but it is a neat place to walk around and see.

Another vote for Grape and Granary. Good amount of stuff there.

As others have mentioned... Great Lakes Brewing has some excellent beers and free tours of the brewery if you sign up on their website before going. The tour is only about an hour and includes a 'sampling'... bring quarters! I was just there last week enjoying their Nosferatu and Big Black Smoke. Delicious!

FatHeads is great too, and you can check their current beer menu before going. Also, they have sandwiches as big as your head.

Grape and Granary in Akron
Abruzzo's in Kent (my LHBS, they are pretty small but can have whatever you want within 2 days, good group of guys)

Thirsty Dog (Akron Brewpub)
The Brew Kettle (Brewpub and Brew on Premise, a huge selection of stuff on draft and some good food as well)

And if you find yourself in the sticks East of Akron (Atwater/Randolph) you and yours are more than welcome to stop by for a homebrew.

Thanks for all the advice! I think akron is +/- 30 miles from my dad's house, so that's the way I'm leaning. I think it'll have to be on a weekday next week, as I think I'm babysitting the younger generation on Friday or Saturday night so my daughter can go out with friends and my sister-in-law for a "girls night". My dad and I will stay home with the grandkids/great grandson for an "old people's night". :D

Buy what you want. Priority Fixed Rate ship it home. Always fun to browse a real store (a pleasure I rarely have due to small town syndrome).

Duh! Why didn't I think of that! Geez. Shipping wouldn't be that much, and it would be fun to buy some "real" ingredients.

Good thing I'm cute, as I'm apparently not very bright! :D

So, not to hijack the thread off topic, but there is a hot air balloon festival in Akron/Ravenna this weekend. There is a big parade on Saturday Morning, and then that evening a balloon launch (weather permitting). I've made the trip with my family twice to see it. My daughter had a great time.

http://www.ravennaballoonafair.com/

There are some nice homebrew stores in Pittsburgh. My personal favorite is Country Wines, as the people there are really nice. Their sister store, South Hills Brewing supply (not the one in Monroeville) has a better selection, but I go to Country Wines for the customer service and conversation. The prices are fair, as well.

There are some fantastic places in Pittsburgh to get a few drinks, and could give you some recommendations if you are interested.

Abruzz'o is a great little store and its 200 yards off of 76 going to akron. Ld carlson is only another mile past that so they do "pickups" from the distributor a couple of times a week without paying shiping.
I just asked you a question on your dogfish 60 thread about subing cascade for amarillo ,anyway I called abruzzo and got a pound of warrior,simco and amarillo for under 70 bucks.on top of that I said I would not be able to pick it up until next week because I live north of warren.there going to ship it here for 8 dollars and would have it by sat!!It would cost me more to drive there.I love those guys great service but small shop. There is another shop in warren called winemakers headquaters but he is more of a wine guy. Have fun while your in town.

Abruzz'o is a great little store and its 200 yards off of 76 going to akron. Ld carlson is only another mile past that so they do "pickups" from the distributor a couple of times a week without paying shiping.
I just asked you a question on your dogfish 60 thread about subing cascade for amarillo ,anyway I called abruzzo and got a pound of warrior,simco and amarillo for under 70 bucks.on top of that I said I would not be able to pick it up until next week because I live north of warren.there going to ship it here for 8 dollars and would have it by sat!!It would cost me more to drive there.I love those guys great service but small shop. There is another shop in warren called winemakers headquaters but he is more of a wine guy. Have fun while your in town.

I'm on my way to visit Hoppin' Frog in a few minutes. I googled Thirsty Dog and see that it's now just a tasting room without food. Since my dad and I will need sustanance, can anybody give me a tip where to grab lunch/afternoon meal not far from Hoppin' Frog or off of 76 or 77? (I don't want us to get too lost!")

When you leave Hoppin Frog check out Crave in Downtown Akron on E Market. Pretty good beer menu and some good food As well. 224W to 77N to 8N then get off at bucholzer blvd (1st exit). Keep going straight (2 lights) and make a L on Market. It is on the right at Market and High. Only mins away. Or you could get some Luigi's Pizza.

When you leave Hoppin Frog check out Crave in Downtown Akron on E Market. Pretty good beer menu and some good food As well. 224W to 77N to 8N then get off at bucholzer blvd (1st exit). Keep going straight (2 lights) and make a L on Market. It is on the right at Market and High. Only mins away. Or you could get some Luigi's Pizza.

We ended up not going anywhere else! We went up to Thirsty Dog (really wanted a beer!) and they are not open until 4 PM. So we just decided to come home. We're drinking beers in his living room, so it's ok.

I had a nice time seeing Hoppin' Frog and talking about brewing. I didn't buy anything at the Grape n' Granary but I looked around quite a bit. I really like Hoppin' Frog's beers so it was really a fun day!

We ended up not going anywhere else! We went up to Thirsty Dog (really wanted a beer!) and they are not open until 4 PM. So we just decided to come home. We're drinking beers in his living room, so it's ok.

I had a nice time seeing Hoppin' Frog and talking about brewing. I didn't buy anything at the Grape n' Granary but I looked around quite a bit. I really like Hoppin' Frog's beers so it was really a fun day!

Glad you guys had a good time, Fred does make some great beers! Although I haven't quite figured out why I feel so tipsy after just 2 bombers??!! :drunk:

Does Hoppin' Frog have a brewpub or store, or tours whenever you stop by? I have wanted to stop by there but Im not sure what exactly goes on there besides brewing beer. Their IPA is my favorite IPA ever.

I hope you make it to Fat Heads at some point. My favorite brewer in PA/OH area.

Does Hoppin' Frog have a brewpub or store, or tours whenever you stop by? I have wanted to stop by there but Im not sure what exactly goes on there besides brewing beer. Their IPA is my favorite IPA ever.

They have a retail area. I bought a couple of bombers, but wanted to buy more! I'm flying and can't haul bottles home in my carry on, but the bigger beers really would be something to save and hold on to! No brewpub, but they sell bottles and t-shirts, and I have an awesome new t-shirt!

I bought an IPA, and the triple IPA. Both were awesome, but at 10% ABV, the bomber of the triple IPA had me seeing double briefly!

Fred was completely and totally awesome! They are heading to the GABF tomorrow, and I think they will do very well again this year!

My wifes parents live just outside of akron and I was telling her dad about this thread and hoppin frog. He had heard of the place but not been there yet. He went today and bought a case of their pumpkin ale. Now we need to make a trip to akron so I can try some. He said when he walked in the door the smell was magnificent.

In Cleveland: Great Lakes Brewery, Beer Market and Bar Cento are within 200' of one another. Also on the same block is the West Side Market an open air market (though likely a misnomer since they are under roof) celebrating their 100th anniversary. The beers are amazing at Great Lakes and Beer Market micro breweries, their brewmasters have great pedigries. The food at the breweries is not great, well it's bar food, but directly across the street from Great Lakes are the Flying Fig and Crop, where the food is amazing. One mile to the south is a neighborhood known as Tremont. Here you will find Micheal Simon's (Iron Chef) first restaurant Lolita, also we have Dante's (Italian), Fahrenheit (Beef), Edisons( Pizza and amazing beer list), SouthSide Cafe (Bar Food kicked up to the stratosphere and amazing beer list) and The Tap House (great selection of beer, not a micro, food is just ok).

hope this helps, just type into your GPS "West Side Market, W25th and Lorain, Cleveland" for Tremont type in Lolita, Professor and Literary, Cleveland"

Back