Victory and Chaos IPA - [Beertools] - bitterness...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cell

Reaction score
I want to brew the "Victory and Chaos IPA" by John Palmer. Here's the recipe:
How to Brew - By John Palmer - Ale Styles

I'm entering the information within Beertools and it gives me a bitterness of 100,6 (the range for an English IPA is between 40-60). Should I ignore beertools? Or should I modify the recipe?

Here's a picture of Beertools (Sorry.. it's in French language):

VCIPA_beertools.jpg

It appears that JP's recipe is for a 3 gallon partial boil, topped up to 5 gallons. So, the hop extraction efficiency will be lower than that of a full 5 gallon boil. Either adjust the hops to account for a full boil, or do a partial boil.

Did you pull the recipe online? Palmer's online recipes are designed for extract partial boils with all extract up front. In his book, he adjusts them for late extract addition and all-grain (similar boil gravities for both).

So the online recipes will be too hoppy if you're not doing a concentrated boil.

EDIT: If I had the book on hand, I could post the hop schedule from that. Maybe someone else can.

It appears that JP's recipe is for a 3 gallon partial boil, topped up to 5 gallons. So, the hop extraction efficiency will be lower than that of a full 5 gallon boil. Either adjust the hops to account for a full boil, or do a partial boil.
ok, that makes sense. Thanks a lot.

I know this is a late reply, but for future viewers... The screenshot makes it look like you entered 2 oz/59.06g for the 60 min hop addition. The original recipe from the book calls for a 1 oz addition at 60 min.

Back