yeast issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike47

Reaction score
hi,
just brewed my third batch, a belgian ale. Previous batches i used a dried yeast. This time I used White labs wlp500. It has been 24 hrs and I see no movement in the airlock. at this point on prior batches I could see bubbling like every 10 seconds. how long do i wait to pitch in muntons dried? Trying to keep temp at 70 degrees but living in northeast, it is probably around 65-68 most times. But this was the same for other batches too. So what do I do?

If you didn't use a starter for the liquid yeast, it can easily take 72 hours before you see any indications of fermentation. Just relax and wait it out! It'll start!

Most start by 72 hours. I had the same problem with that yeast. It took about 60 hours to start. Just ignore it for 48 more hours, it will take off.

Wait it out, you should be fine. See what others say about repitching. You cant judge it by airlock activity.

it is always a safe bet to make a starter in fact I am about to go in

and make a starter for a sunday brewday

makin another Hefe Weizen usin wl 300 hefe weizen yeast

1300 ml to 1 cup DME

boil 20 min

cool and pitch

last time it made over a 2 inch slury in the bottom of the 2 gal glass

container I used covered with foil

:ban:

I just started a batch with wlp500 last week. It was a moderately high gravity beer, 1.082, and even with a starter it took almost 48 hours to really get going. You've got nothing to worry about. RDWHAHB, my friend.

Back