Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Coconut Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadbraun

Reaction score
Grain Bill

9# 2 row
.5# CaraMunich
.5# Crystal 40L
.5# Crystal 60L
4 oz Special B
1# Chocolate Malt
.5# Roasted Barley

Hops

.75 oz Centennial (60 min)
.6 oz Cascade (40 min)
.5 oz Cascade (20 min)

Secondary

1# Toasted raw organic coconut

I'm going to attempt an almond Joy Porter and was just curious as to when you added your coconut flakes? I'm a bit worried about lipids

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

I just finished a chocolate coconut porter. I toasted 1 lb of unsweetened coconut (5 gallon batch) and added it in secondary for ~1 week. Tastes phenomenal.

I just finished a chocolate coconut porter. I toasted 1 lb of unsweetened coconut (5 gallon batch) and added it in secondary for ~1 week. Tastes phenomenal.

This.
I spread coconut on parchment paper and toasted. You have to watch it though because it will toast quickly. The house smelled delicious. I put it in a grain bag though making the whole syphon process to the bottling bucket much easier. The coconut is there and by toasting the flakes, a lot of the oils were extracted so there isn't a whole lot of weirdness floating on top of the beer. I would use at least 12 oz, toasted, for 7 days in secondary. You could add a bit more but 7 days is a good amount of time. Also, I did use sweetened coconut because I couldn't find unsweetened.

Back