Is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefe73

Reaction score
All -

I just finished bottling my first Bavarian Hefe Weizen (NB Extract Kit) on Friday and upon inspection of the bottles today, I've noticed almost all of them have a large glob like object floating at the top. I take it this is just yeast that has clumped together and shouldn't be a problem...am I correct? I'm just looking for a little peace of mind that I haven't ruined this batch.

Thanks!

i wouldn't say its 'ruined' however you normally shouldn't have any floaties in your bottles. there's only a small amount of yeast inside, and the sediment comes from the priming sugar mostly.

Since its only been 3-4 days, relax, wait 2-3 weeks, then see what's up with them.

I'm new as well, but did you get much sediment at the bottom of your primary when you transferred it to your secondary?

I attempted to make a cherry hefe about a month ago and there were floaties at the top of my bottles. I assumed they were from the cherry extract i used but i guess i will never be sure.

It case you were wondering, the cherry hefe was a horrible (or at least my batch was).

Back