4 ounce dry hop: single or multi-stage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBeer

Reaction score
I want to generate some discussion about single-stage vs. multi-stage dry hopping. I'm planning on using 4 ounces in a current batch and am not sure which route to take. Has anyone tried both? Which did you prefer? I'm leaning towards a two-stager, thinking that all 4 ounces at once will result in less extraction. Any input is appreciated.

My next IIPA is about 5 oz for 14 days and 1 oz of the same hops for the final 5 days. Based off the Pliny PDF recipe.

Brew strong just did an episode on this: http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/982

As I recall, the gist was that if you use a large amount of hops all at once, they form a thick layer on the bottom of the fermenter. This means that most of the hops are buried under other hops and not in direct contact with the beer, so extraction is worse than if you add them in multiple stages.

I have not personally tried it but their logic sounds plausible. I suspect it is more of an issue at commercial scales in large conical fermenters with many pounds of hops than in a 5 gallon carboy with a few ounces.

Good info, thanks for that. I'm gonna try 2 stage on this one. I'll do 1 oz. each mosaic and simcoe for 5 days, then 1 oz. each amarillo and columbus for 7. I'll post results in a couple weeks!

I see you've already made your decision, but wanted to weigh in here. The comment about the layering of hops on the bottom of the fermenter is true if you add them loose, but if you use hop sacks then the hops, regardless of how much you use, are always in constant contact with the beer since the hops end up floating on top. I just dry hopped an IIPA with 4 oz of hops all in one shot, though I did use a separate sack for each 2 oz addition, and it tasted really good at bottling.

Thanks nuke. I'll be using a hop bag and chucking them (actually gently placing them) into the keg. There'll be 2 oz. in each charge so I'm expecting explosive aroma, especially since I dropped a bunch of yeast beforehand. I'll post results in about 2 weeks

nukebrewer said:
I see you've already made your decision, but wanted to weigh in here. The comment about the layering of hops on the bottom of the fermenter is true if you add them loose, but if you use hop sacks then the hops, regardless of how much you use, are always in constant contact with the beer since the hops end up floating on top. I just dry hopped an IIPA with 4 oz of hops all in one shot, though I did use a separate sack for each 2 oz addition, and it tasted really good at bottling.

Yep this is what I do. Dryhop with bags of 2oz or less each and have had significantly better results than throwing in 4oz loose. Less mess when racking too.

Thanks nuke. I'll be using a hop bag and chucking them (actually gently placing them) into the keg. There'll be 2 oz. in each charge so I'm expecting explosive aroma, especially since I dropped a bunch of yeast beforehand. I'll post results in about 2 weeks

What do you mean by dropping the yeast?

What do you mean by dropping the yeast?

I cold crashed my primary for ~36 hours before racking to the keg, which caused a lot of the suspended yeast to drop out. According to Mitch Steele, amongst many others, hop aroma compounds will coat the yeast in suspension and be taken out with them when they naturally floc out.

I will say, I just dry hopped 2oz. this morning and pulled a sample a minute ago... Holy crap! This is by far the most flavorful aromatic brew I've ever made. I may not even add the second charge of dry hops since I really don't see how it could get any better. I got a lot of flavor/aroma from the 5 oz. I added from 15 minutes to flameout + a hopstand, but right now this brew is on point.

I cold crashed my primary for ~36 hours before racking to the keg, which caused a lot of the suspended yeast to drop out. According to Mitch Steele, amongst many others, hop aroma compounds will coat the yeast in suspension and be taken out with them when they naturally floc out.

I will say, I just dry hopped 2oz. this morning and pulled a sample a minute ago... Holy crap! This is by far the most flavorful aromatic brew I've ever made. I may not even add the second charge of dry hops since I really don't see how it could get any better.

Oh got it. Thought you meant you dropped the trub out of the bottom of a conical. Maybe I should wait longer than a week to start dry hopping in primary...so most of the yeast has flocd...or maybe cold crash the primary and dry hop in secondary. I need to start kegging.

Oh got it. Thought you meant you dropped the trub out of the bottom of a conical. Maybe I should wait longer than a week to start dry hopping in primary...so most of the yeast has flocd...or maybe cold crash the primary and dry hop in secondary. I need to start kegging.

Yeah, I think you'd have similar results if you crashed primary, transferred to secondary, then brought to room temp and dry hopped. I've read a lot about it and it seems you would still have plenty of yeast to carb in the bottles, but not an excess amount that would rob your hoppy goodness.

I've gotten great results doing a sizable dry hop in the primary and then reserving a smaller amount to dryhop in the keg at serving temps. Makes for a bright long lasting flavor.

I've gotten great results doing a sizable dry hop in the primary and then reserving a smaller amount to dryhop in the keg at serving temps. Makes for a bright long lasting flavor.

I thought about adding some columbus to the keg before chilling and carbing, but don't want to get the vegetal flavor some people experience when dry hopping cold. How much do you usually use?

BassBeer said:
I thought about adding some columbus to the keg before chilling and carbing, but don't want to get the vegetal flavor some people experience when dry hopping cold. How much do you usually use?

As long as you don't let it sit for months you should be ok with the vegetal flavors. Extraction is way slower when the temps are down at me kegging level.

Yep this is what I do. Dryhop with bags of 2oz or less each and have had significantly better results than throwing in 4oz loose. Less mess when racking too.

Do you squeeze the goodness from the hop bags when racking or just let it drip out.

Latest posts

Back