All Grain Brewer Still Doing Extract Batches??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
I have been brewing AG brew for about 2+yrs now, but I have been thinking of doing some extract brews (not Partial Mash) every few brews to cut out time in the brew day. Any other AG brewer doing this??

PS.. Doing it to shorten the day to spend time with the family as everyone is getting older and don't want to miss things and don't want to give up the hobby..

Outside of brewing with other folks, I haven't done an extract batch in a long time. However, I've got a very simple 100% extract recipe in the wings should I ever need a weeknight pipeline filler (no grains, extract weights done by container weight, dry yeast, hops only in 1 oz additions, basically no measurement necessary). Just haven't had a dry pipeline in a long time. Although I'll probably brew it soon just to do it.

ill do this when I want to try out a new hop or yeast, just grab some light LME and experiment, it saves alot of time

I do some extract batches because of the time savings, I have some old extract recipes that I really like, and I brew extract batches when I do a high grivity beer because my equipment can not handle all the grain.

I occasionally do extract batches. I think my porter recipe is extract--at least, I originally wrote it as an extract recipe so that I could brew it indoors during inclement weather, and I don't think I've ever taken the time to redo it as an AG recipe. And the last time I brewed it, I actually did a double batch that would not otherwise fit on my BIAB system unless I used extract.

I do extract batches while I'm doing all all grain batches. I don't have a lot of time to brew but I do have time to do both when I have the time. I have two burners so I start my water for mashing then start the extact batch. It works out very efficiently. I also have some extract recipies that I have not been able to duplicate AG.

I do both I find myself doing extract when I want to try a recipe. I make a 2.5 gallon batch so if I hate it, I have less to give away or drink. Thought about doing 1 gallon but it seems like a lot of work for a 12 pack.

I do both. Sometimes there just isn't enough time to do an all grain batch. I've even done the 15min pale ale - and loved it. The folks that make the extract are striving to make a good product and a long as you understand the process (like the inability to manipulate the ferment ability if extract) you can adjust recipes to compensate and make great beer.

I will do extract when I'm short on time, too. Same exact reasons. Priorities, first. Family and friends THEN we brew beer.

Back