dumb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockettbrews

Reaction score
i ordered a breiss liquid malt exctract and 3.0 pounds of light dme. When I got the liquid malt exctract it was unhopped. I usally add 2 ounces of hops to all my beers. will this be enough to make a light lager and when should i add them??? i was thinking 15 and ten. 1oz of hallertau and 1 oz of tettnanger.

I highly reccommend using some beer calc program. I use hopville, its really easy and will really help formulating recipes. That said, if you only add hops late in the boil like that you will end up with a very sweet beer. You will need to do a 60 min addition to get the bitterness I think you are expecting. I would add maybe 1oz of hallertau & .50oz tettnanger at 60 min, and than the rest of the hops between 20 and 1 min in the boil. You will be best served by entering you ingredients into a calc program though, I really recommend doing that.

Edit: I was bored and entered your stuff into hopville. (Lager) You can consider this, if you know the AA% of your hops you can make this info more accurate. I recommend looking up the stats, (IBU, OG, SRM) for the style you are going for. With that info you can fine tune your recipe, or just wing it, you will end up with beer either way :) Good luck!

i use beersmith 2. I do alot of allgrain but just havent had alot of time. just want to make some quick beers and than an allgrain lager so i can let it lager for a couple months in the fridge.

I forgot to order yeast and i dont know if any will come with it. I had a munich ale yeast. I was thinking about using but I think im going to get sl 05. i would love to use a lager yaest but dont have anywhere to keep it cold at all the time. I would normally use a 34/70 but cant keep it at a low temp. my temp are around 65 what would you think???

Check out brewing TV on youtube. they have a lager workaround episode that you should really watch. They used cali lager yeast (cali common?) at cool ale temps. Interesting.

Back