Help With My Wine Please (floaty bits!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinnerstick

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first of all thanks for any suggestions. i have made many beers and ciders over the years but this is my first wine. it's rhubarb wine, made about 5 weeks ago, everything had gone according to plan until a few days ago, when i noticed some floating chunky gunk just below the neck of the flask. it looked a bit like yeast but i have never seen yeast just appear in flocks while the drink is clearing. i had already racked once (and sulfited) since fermenting finished, and it was sitting on a thin layer of lees; not much. on closer inspection there was some floaty stuff near the surface also. i racked to a clean flask and sulfited again, equivalent K-meta of 1 campden. i tasted it during racking and it is spectacular. no sour or off flavors. but four days later the stuff has reappeared. hopefully you can see it in the pictures; it's hard to photograph. Wine experts: What is it and How can i get rid of it??
Thanks!!

v42nvd.jpg

2j6a6io.jpg

Those look like clumps of yeast. It's weird, because wine yeast doesn't tend to clump like that.

I wouldn't worry. Just rack whenever you have lees 1/4" thick after 60 days, and it should settle out.

Latest posts

Back