Best Yet (pats himself on back)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
Just popped open my first new brew in a long time and (if I say so myself) wow.

It was supposed to be a Bavarian lager, but at the last minute I decided to use German ale yeast instead.

It was my first full boil using the turkey fryer SWMBO gave me for Xmas and it also was my first brew using a wort chiller (that I got for myself for Xmas).

I also ran out of corn sugar so I used dme for priming.

After two weeks in bottles the first one is awesome. Doesn't taste anything like a southern German lager, though. More like a really good brewpub beer with a good bit of bitterness.

I don't know what made the difference: full boil? wort chiller? dry malt extract for priming? Or a little of all three. Bottom line: my best effort yet.

Next up: AG (if spring ever gets here).

mmditter said:
I don't know what made the difference: full boil? wort chiller? dry malt extract for priming? Or a little of all three. Bottom line: my best effort yet.

Next up: AG (if spring ever gets here).

Okay dude...give up the recipe eh?

Bavarian Lager

1/2 lb. Munich malt
1/2 lb. Crystal 10L

6 lb. light malt extract

1/2 oz. northern brewer
1/2 oz. northern brewer
1 oz. spalt

The recipe called for White Labs WLP838 Souther German lager yeast, but again I used 1007 German ale yeast instead.

That looks like a tasty pale alt recipe. I love the german ale yeast. I also like the hop combo.
I think the full wort boil probably gave you the most benefit. I recently went to full boils and the beers seem just a little better.
:mug:

The reason it tastes Soooo good is you adhered to the Deutsche Reinheitsgebote von 1516 (German Beer Purity Law dating back to the year 1516).

When I bottled, I used DME instead of corn sugar as well. Just Water Malt & Hops are allowed (yeast was a given).

Congrats on a job well done!

mmditter said:
Beats me what the OG is. I don't currently own a hydrometer.:eek: It sure tastes good, though.

Not an absolute necessity...but I like having one so I can determine the K!ck @SS factor of my brew. A heavy brew is going to keg or 12 Oz bottles. My sessions (Bitters, etc.) are going into 22Oz bottles because I know I can pour a big glass and enjoy in the afternoon.

Plus, testing for gravity gives me a good excuse to sneak a taste.

Pick one up at your LHBS and you can take this "experiment" to the next level.

Latest posts

Back