Reassure me about my Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reckoning

Reaction score
Just brewed a blegian wit on Sunday. As of yet, nary a bubble in the primary.

I've heard that blegian yeast strains can be a bit slow out of the blocks. Is this true or should I be worried?

Here's the short story ...

Brewed on Sunday night

Recipe:

Steeped @ 150 for 20 minutes
1/2# belgian aromatic
1/2# flaked oats
1# 2-row (for the oats)

Brought the grains up to 170 and then removed the bag.
Brought to boil and added 8# of Alexanders wheat malt extract.

Brought that to a boil and hopped.
1 oz Kent Goldings (forget the alpha, but around 4 i think) for 60 min

1/2 oz Liberty (around alpha 3) for 15 minutes
3/4 tsp corriander
3/4 oz bitter orange peel

1/2 oz Liberty hops for 3 minutes
1/4 tso corriancer
1/4 oz bitter orange peel

Cooled and strained, transferred to the primary and topped off to 5 gallons.
Pitched the Wyeast Belgian Wit yeast.

The smack pack didn't expand as much as an ale pack does. It got a little bigger, but certainly not "swollen". I figured it was just the strain.

Anyone have experience with this yeast? I figure I'll give it another day and see before I repitch. BTW, the fermenter is sitting in the basement at around 65 degrees.

Thanks

Well, only time will tell if you're yeast is going to work or not, but in the future, I'd suggest you make a starter. It's pretty easy and gives you extra assurance that all is going to go well

I brewed a Belgian Wit on Sunday as well and used the same Wyeast 125ml smack pack. It also didn't swell as much as some other strains I have used in the past but I still got active fermentation within 6 hours. Checked on it this morning and it is still bubbling away. I ferment at a slightly higher temp (between 72-74) and make sure I aerate well.

An Irishman named O'Malley went to his doctor after a long illness.

The doctor, after a lengthy examination, sighed and looked O'Malley in the eye, and said, "I've some bad news for you.
You have cancer, and it can't be cured. I'd give you two weeks to a month to live."

O'Malley was shocked and saddened by the news, but of solid character. He managed to compose himself and walk from the doctor's office into the waiting room. There, he saw his son who had been waiting. O'Malley said, "Well son, we Irish
celebrate when things are good, and we celebrate when things don't go so well. In this case, things aren't so well. I have cancer, and I've been given a short time to live. Let's head for the pub and have a few pints."

After three or four pints, the two were feeling a little less somber. There were some laughs and more beers. They were eventually approached by some of O'Malley's old friends who asked what the two were celebrating. O'Malley told them that the Irish celebrate the good and the bad. He went on to tell them that they were drinking to his impending end. He told
his friends, "I've only got a few weeks to live as I have been diagnosed with AIDS."

The friends gave O'Malley their condolences, and they had a couple more beers.

After his friends left, O'Malley's son leaned over and whispered his confusion. "Dad. I though you said that you were dying from cancer??? You just told your friends that you were dying from AIDS!"

O'Malley said, "I am dying of cancer, son. I just don't want any of them sleeping with your mother after I'm gone."

It started bubbling this evening (almost 48 hours after pitching). Not the most robust fermentation on record, but fermentation none the least. Hopefully it'll pick up.

olllllo said:
You're very witty. Don't let anyone tell you any different.

And your beer is probably OK.
Dammit, ollllllllllllllllllllllo beat me to it. But I found your post dry and boring...your wit needs a bit of work.

As far as your beer goes, RDWHAHB! :mug:

Back