Carb and Bottle Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahunaman

Reaction score
Quick Question...

How much of an impact does bottle size have on carbonation? Most of what I've bottled in standard 12's carbs in about 2 weeks or so with no issue.

I popped a Grand Cru that I did in 22's with Coopers drops (2 per bottle) about 3 weeks ago, popped a sample, and there was nothing... it was like wine.

Of course, I'm going to wait as long as it takes for this to ripen up nicely... but it got me to thinking about a few things:

1. Does Bottle Size matter in carb time (IE - do larger bottles take longer?)
2. Do higher alcohol beers (Grand cru is about an 8.5 ABV) take longer to carb?

I want to know because I would adjust my tasting schedule.

Thanks!

It takes longer for the yeasties to convert the larger volume in the bigger bottles to enough co2 in the headspace to be reabsorbed back into the solution...A ration I don't know how much...

I only know it from experience...I have a bunch of nice ancient pint bottles that I use for some beers, as well as 22's....When bottling with those, I always bottle at least one six pack (sometimes more) of standard 12 ounce bottles to use as contest entries....

The 12 ouncers always are finished before the larger bottles (usually in the standard 3-6 weeks period) the larger bottles generally take 2 weeks more to carb up...

SOmeone, I think it was BK, wrote up a decent more scientific explination, IIRC...

But yeah it takes longer.

Also, the higher the FG/ABV the longer it takes to carb...but remember, it's not just carbing we're talking about, also conditioning...and the higer beers often taste "HOT" for a long time, then they mellow...often months...

thanks.
As with anything, I'll just wait it out. I have 5 other batches in various stages. I'm just a bit bummed, as I thought this would be my next one out. Looks like we'll be leaning on the Bock.
Thanks!

6 Weeks bottled - still no carb.
any thoughts? Obviously can't do much now... I could always pass it off as a crappy wine. haha.

Also..
note that the beer is much sweeter than it should be, leading me to believe that the coopers drops just melted and never carbed.

What temp were they stored at? Are you above 70 or below?

WHat kind of bottles? were they flip tops? Could the seals be bad?

I would make sure they are above 70 degrees, and I would flip the bottles over once to re-rouse the yeast...come back in 2 more weeks...if nothing then at that point I would declare the yeast DOA and sprinkle a few grains into each bottle....

BUT I would wait two more weeks..only becasue my 22's took between 6 and 8 weeks to "pop" and I would be afraid that if you added yeast and it was just dormant the bottles would go boom....

Just make sure you are above 70 and adgitate them first...

Back