California Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What do you guys thing of this recipe? I'm using hops that I have on hand. I will pitch this on a WLP810 San Fransisco Lager yeast cake which I know is strange but I figure it should provide a nice clean fermentation.
Any thoughts or opinions?

California Pale Ale

A ProMash Brewing Session - Recipe Details Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 11.00
Anticipated OG: 1.056 Plato: 13.89
Anticipated SRM: 6.9
Anticipated IBU: 42.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
90.9 10.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
4.5 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
4.5 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.25 oz. Northern Brewer Whole 7.00 34.5 60 min.
0.75 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 5.00 7.5 30 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.80 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP810 San Fransisco Lager

Should, as you assume, be very clean. I recently did an APA with NB and Cascade, and it was quite possibly one of the best beers I've ever tasted.

If your's goes well, I'll have to try a lager yeast, as well.

I might cut back a hair on the NB to bring down the IBU's by 10 or so, but that's just my opinion. I found APA's taste much better to me in the 30-35 IBU range.

looks great to me! the WLP810 with that isn't strange at all with that recipe...you're basically making a california common.

i have a steam beer that i'm going to be drinking with friends tonight. it tastes wonderful. i added a bit of chocolate malt for color and to round out the flavor.

:mug:

RichBrewer said:
I'm going to try and keep it in the 60º to 62º range. It is warming up here so it might be a little higher.
looks good to me very basic and youll probably end up with a very clean beer with that yeast. I like the name LOL
JJ

the_bird said:
:confused:

I think we've got different definitions of "big time"!
I guess I should have explained myself. I also over shot the volume. I ended up with about 6 1/4 gallons of wort in the fermenter. I'm usualy a bit low on my OGs so this quite a bit over the target for me. I'm betting I added too much grain. The more I think about it, the mash did seem thicker than usual.
Oh well. It will make beer so I'm happy.

I made a similar beer using Pilsner instead of 2-row and I used Hallertau because it's what I had a bunch of. I was going to do the WLP810 but the HBS was out of it so I settled for California Ale. Hoping it turns out nice and clean and tasty!

Back