Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Dan-

Reaction score
Just a Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss and I am not impressed at all. I expected a little bit more! I can't even say how it tasted ... almost like Bud Light or some of that crap. :confused: :confused: The only difference seems to be a very slight aftertaste of honey (I think)

I'm not gonna pay almost 8 bucks for a sixpack of that stuff again...

Leinie's is indeed owned by SAB miller, but they are still their own entity, brewed in Chippewa Falls, WI. It's a great brewery tour.

BTW, I like their Honey Wiess. And their Red Lager. And their Creamy Dark. Some of their other stuff sux, though, like the Sunset Wheat. Yuck, unless you like Fruity Pebbles in your beer.

Short Drive said:
After drinking what you brew Ed, I'm not surprised.
That's funny! Actually, my daughter is off to college this year and she's been to some parties already (can you believe that?)

She's 19 years old, and she's at a party at a frat house and she's gets a beer and spits it out. She asks the host why he's serving such swill and that her Dad makes "Craft Beer". That's my girl!

The host's answer is that he could get MORE beer since it was cheaper. LOL. She ended up drinking water at the party.

Wait till she move's off campus and sets up her own Afpelwein shop. :D

Sorry it was 8 bucks!

Hereabouts, it's usually $5.29 for a 6 pack, so I drink it when gas stations don't carry ANYTHING nicer... The Creamy Dark is really good, and the Honey Weiss is not bad (except i got sick last time I drank it).... and they make an Apple Spice that is OK for the fall time..... Don't like their Red though.

You guys can hate me for it, but I like Sunset Wheat a lot more than Blue Moon, which I perceive to be the direct competitor for it. Good with an orange slice in it, and a great beer to plow back two of on my lunch break, but still be able to work the afternoon away. :D

I don't see anything wrong with the Honey Weiss. It is a BMC with some honey in it. Big Deal. If you are expecting something more, you didn't read the label!

FWIW, I am kind of PO'd at what Leinies is doing. the fruit beers have to stop. They are selling out to mainstream.

The Creamy Dark is a great beer, and the craft brew line they have going is awesome. But they need to advertise that stuff more than the fruit stuff.

I also prefer the Sunset Wheat over Blue Moon but then on the other hand I completly refuse to pay a cent for Blue Moon.
I still have 4 bottles left and don't know what to do with it... My room mates don't wanna touch it either. What a waste...

Dude said:
FWIW, I am kind of PO'd at what Leinies is doing. the fruit beers have to stop. They are selling out to mainstream.

Oh gawd... agreed... I know the Berry Weiss was one of the original variants to be sold, and the Sunset Wheat is a wheat beer first, with the inclusion of a little too much orange taste, but you can't JUST sell fruit beers...

Not related to Leinies, but the Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic is delicious with turkey. Then again, it was brewed to be a real beer first, and a fruit beer second. Not vice versa, as the Apple Spice was. Putrid aftertaste in that Apple Spice.

Back