Trashy Renters Rant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

509inc

Reaction score
Recently some renters moved out of one my rental properties and completely trashed the place. The level of trashiness is mind blowing.

Just a few things they did:
1. Used a charcoal grill in the front room. I don't think I need to explain how wrong this is or what it does to the ceiling and walls or what it will take to repair.

2. Left a huge pile of trash in the front yard. Now I have to clean this up before the neighbors complain and the city fines me. Last time this happened the fine was $500.

CIMG0111.jpg

Rant over.

I just finished rehabing a house of mine too. Previous tenant left 9 full size matteresses in a 3 bed house.

I had to repaint the entire interior, repair fire damage to the kitchen, replace all the ceiling fans, etc....

Total damages cost me nearly $7k in repairs after the carpet and tile was replaced.

Corts would be useless. Hard to get anything out of a person when they can't pay the rent.

Are saying this might have been a lab??? Oh lord the BS is never ending.

The exact reason I sold my rental. Well that and constantly having to pound on the door to get my rent money. Rental properties are a massive PITA with slob tenants and laws that only protect the renter. There is no money in them unless you got the property for a song to begin with.

Yep, been trying to get rid of them for awhile now. Down from 50 to 10. The market is not helping tho.

I can't think of any rational reason for using a BBQ indoors. Seriously, did the open all windows or something? But still....

Have you tested for meth yet?

True story.

First week of my marriage to my current wife we had an apartment. I came home at lunch one day to a sight that almost sent me into cardiac arrest.

She had very diligently layered newspapers around the floor (carpet) and was grilling chicken in teh living room.

Her response, "this is how we do it in M'sia."

Sadly, she was telling the truth. I saw no less than 5 homes that had an open pit BBQ in their living rooms in Malaysia.

True story.

First week of my marriage to my current wife we had an apartment. I came home at lunch one day to a sight that almost sent me into cardiac arrest.

She had very diligently layered newspapers around the floor (carpet) and was grilling chicken in teh living room.

Sadly, she was telling the truth. I saw no less than 5 homes that had an open pit BBQ in their living rooms in Malaysia.

WTF? That's such an epic combination of awesome and stupid.

True story.

Okay, so now I can think of ONE logical (if you could call it that) reason...

So how was indoor grilled chicken anyway?

i once lived with a slob. tried to get the landlord to evict him. she wouldnt. he ended up destroying the entire house. we thought the landlord would have to have torn the house down. ive been out of that house for a year now. he has been out since jan. they are still fixing everything he did to the house. i even told the landlord i wasnt doing anything about it. i wasnt his mom and i only rented one room. sucks for her but it was her fault. she saw the way he lived. he took 9 trash bags filled out of his room and i couldnt even tell he cleaned at all.

Back when I was in the Navy I received a call from the landlord of one of my guys. She was very upset, wanted me to come take a look at the apartment this guy moved out of. It was trashed! Stunk like cat sh*t, feces on the walls, they cut a huge circle out of the bedroom carpet because it was stained so badly. No idea what they did with it, maybe moved it into their next house? The wooden floors were saturated with cat pee. Instead of moving the dresser they just took the drawers. Left a bed frame and some other furniture. Unbeliveably nasty. To make matters worse he was married and had a young child. Reason he moved was because he got accepted to on base housing. The landlord told me there was around $5K in damages. I notified the Navy housing office of his previous landlord's dilema. So the housing office inspects this guys house every week. They only lived in the apartment six months. Some people are just animals.

Does she love hearing "Guess what? This isn't Indonesia/Malaysia" as much as mine does?

As much as she forces it out of my mouth, she must.

Did you eat the black sticky rice too?

Not willingly. Though I am beginning to suspect that some such voodoo may have been distributed as adjuncts into several of my grain bills.

As much as she forces it out of my mouth, she must.

Not willingly. Though I am beginning to suspect that some such voodoo may have been distributed as adjuncts into several of my grain bills.

Bwahahahaha. Terlalu lucu!

Yeah, I know. 14 years of marriage and I still can't write Bahasa Melayu for ****. She's more interested in improving her English.

I'm guessing they lit the BBQ to stay warm because the probably couldn't afford the cost of heat, see that a lot when they report how 6 people died from the carbon monoxide.

I do this for a living. I have over 740 units.

In order to keep stuff like this from happening, you need to ask for a LARGE deposit. Get rental references. Drop by every once and awhile. Make them sign a move-out cost schedule. Take pics upon M/I and M/O.

It will save you some serious issues in the long run.

I do this for a living. I have over 740 units.

In order to keep stuff like this from happening, you need to ask for a LARGE deposit. Get rental references. Drop by every once and awhile. Make them sign a move-out cost schedule. Take pics upon M/I and M/O.

It will save you some serious issues in the long run.

Small world, my folks have about 40 units in and around Nashville. After the flood we bought a duplex together for almost nothing.

Op, if you aren't making money with 50 units you are doing something wrong. My folks both "retired" at 40 and they live off of the rental money. They live in a large house and live quite comfortably.

I have apartments, and a rental home in FL.

Good money. Pretty much inflation proof. Housing market goes down, rentals go up.

The property I have in Nashville is 100% leased. It's near a bunch of schools though, so students keep it full.

You don't know trashed, until you have college students. Literally, the dumbest folks on the planet are college students.

The exact reason I sold my rental. Well that and constantly having to pound on the door to get my rent money. Rental properties are a massive PITA with slob tenants and laws that only protect the renter. There is no money in them unless you got the property for a song to begin with.

Funny. That has not been my experience. Actually, my Nashville property, has had the best year it's ever had this year.

I KNEW it!

Can't tell em a damned thing huh? Does she love hearing "Guess what? This isn't Indonesia/Malaysia" as much as mine does?

Did you eat the black sticky rice too?

It's amazing I know very little about that culture but I do know about the Black Sticky Rice.

As a side business I used to paint little rental houses for a big company. Most of these houses were in low rent areas so you can imagine. The worst I saw (paint wise) was a childrens room that the parents allowed them to crayola the walls. Now I have kids and I am no stranger to crayon on walls but this room was painted SOLID all four walls with crayon. Never got it looking even half way decent. Tried covering with kills and guess what? wax is a repellent!!! so after 4 coats or so of primer it would hold paint but it looked awful. That side business is why I will never rent any properties.

gunner65 said:
As a side business I used to paint little rental houses for a big company. Most of these houses were in low rent areas so you can imagine. The worst I saw (paint wise) was a childrens room that the parents allowed them to crayola the walls. Now I have kids and I am no stranger to crayon on walls but this room was painted SOLID all four walls with crayon. Never got it looking even half way decent. Tried covering with kills and guess what? wax is a repellent!!! so after 4 coats or so of primer it would hold paint but it looked awful. That side business is why I will never rent any properties.

I work for a restoration company. I got a call one day to deal with a flood causes by evicted tenant. The ex - tenant clogged all the drains and ran water, then proceeded to spray ketchup and mustard all over the walls. Totally non-removable, had to retexture the walls.

Well at least I'm not the only one with bad renters.

This is the stuff that's always frustrating to hear. I live in a college town and I'm currently on the prowl for a new house to live in come spring/summer (used to be a college student, graduated and moved on from that life). However, since I'm still in this town and close to the age of a student I have that against me in my search. I've been on the hunt for a nice property with a decent landlord. I'm tidy, good with home repair, have a respectable, professional career and take pride in where I live and more importantly HOW I live (not at all like an animal) however I'll have the problem I'm in until 1. I move away or 2. I'm old enough to not be assumed I'm a barbarian partier.

College students are in fact the cause of downfall in trust of the housing market in a college town, and it sucks when you live in one.

Best of luck to you, OP!

^ you sound like me last year. I was 25 wanted a good clean place to live. Finally found one. 3 bedroom house 2 car garage. 2.5 acres. The problem now is I need to find two new roommates

I'm kind of on the other end here. I am a renter and we have destroyed a lot of the stuff here. This includes, but is not limited to: 1. Kicked in front door 2. Golf ball through back window 3. Multiple holes in the drywall 4. and my all time favorite, a potato cannon full of chili shot at the ceiling.

Now we do manage to fix these things out of pocket, but let's just say I'm not holding my breath on getting my deposit back.

Revvy said:
I can't think of any rational reason for using a BBQ indoors. Seriously, did the open all windows or something? But still....

Have you tested for meth yet?

Maybe it was raining lmao

Sent from my Galaxy S 4G using Home Brew Talk for Android

I was a renter from the age of 18 to 33, apartments to houses on acreage and I always left a place in BETTER condition than when I moved in.

Where is the pride in people these days.

My first job was with a public housing authority. I worked in the central office, not the projects, thankfully. (Excuse me, not projects, developments). I did, however, hear the horror stories from the rental offices. Probably the worst one I heard was the tenant who called the rental office and requested a new toilet be brought up, because the one they had was full! :eek::eek:

We recently had a veteran who had gone crazy.

Removed all the outlets, light fixtures, etc, bathroom sink was clogged and had been running for quite some time, all bathroom flooring was rotten, dried vomit in multiple places, M16 up against wall (that's comforting), every wall had at least 5-6 base ball bat holes.

Everything was charged to him, and paid.

Had a alcoholic one time pass out while making french fries, and caused 5000 of fire damage to his apartment.

Actually had a whole building burn down this Summer, from a cigarette.

Insurance and deposits are important.

Latest posts

Back