Dropped my Digital Thermometer in mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pogopunx82

Reaction score
I dropped my Talyor in the mash tun. Letting it dry out now. Wasnt in there for more then 1 sec. Think it will ever work again?

Lock it away in a seal ziploc bag full of rice, or preferably a more potent desiccant, for about a week; don't attempt to turn it back on while it may still have moisture hidden away in there. After a week in the desiccant, you should be able to turn it back on with little problem.

The only thing I'd be worried about is the sugar content and stickyness on the inside of the thermo... so after it dries, take some industrial grade rubbing alcohol to its insides and try to get the circuits clean.

Good luck, mate; I bet it'll come on back. :drunk: :tank: :mug:

I've had success by immersing electronics in 91% isopropyl alcohol to absorb the moisture, then letting them air dry. Sounds strange, but It's worked for me a few times. Sealed container of rice works okay too. Sugars and other "gunk" can be rinsed off with distilled water as it won't conduct electricity, then sealed in rice.

After sealing in rice put it on top of your cable box. The gentle constant heat will help too. Did this with a cellphone that went for a swim in the toliet. Worked prefect after 48 hours in rice on the cable box

Got it working. Just took it apart and wiped the circuit board with water and dried it. Thanks for the help.

Dale_3rd said:
I've had success by immersing electronics in 91% isopropyl alcohol to absorb the moisture, then letting them air dry. Sounds strange, but It's worked for me a few times. Sealed container of rice works okay too. Sugars and other "gunk" can be rinsed off with distilled water as it won't conduct electricity, then sealed in rice.

Distilled water can still conduct, just not as well as regular water.

Good idea, just fyi.

Lock it away in a seal ziploc bag full of rice, or preferably a more potent desiccant, for about a week; don't attempt to turn it back on while it may still have moisture hidden away in there. After a week in the desiccant, you should be able to turn it back on with little problem.

The only thing I'd be worried about is the sugar content and stickyness on the inside of the thermo... so after it dries, take some industrial grade rubbing alcohol to its insides and try to get the circuits clean.

Good luck, mate; I bet it'll come on back. :drunk: :tank: :mug:

This. I dropped mine in a bucket of starsan. Just leave it off and let it dry for a good while. Take it apart to expose the electronics if possible. Mine is working fine now, shows boiling water at 212. During the time it was off though I used a floating thermometer that showed boiling water at 220. That was fun.

Thanks to the numerous preachings of my mentor Alton Brown, I do most of my temping with probe thermos.

I put it in at the start of the mash and just leave it there. It's nice because the probe is going into the mash and the electronics unit is FAR away from it.

I have one of these guys:
opplanet-control-company-vwr-lollipop-thermometers-4371.png

Shockproof, waterproof, under 30 bucks and works great.

Back