110v fan inside keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cimirie

Reaction score
I built my keezer this weekend from an old, well running dorm fridge.
It is well insulated and the cooling plate is functioning very well. The problem is that the compressor was running all night to keep it at 55 with no off-cycle. This is obviously not good.

I've read on this site that using a 110v ac fan inside a keezer can help with cooling the chamber (not my lines as that is a problem for another day).

1) can placing a fan to move airflow within the chamber enough to increase my cooling?

2) by how much can it increase cooling?

I also have questions about placement. The interior is 18" deep by 36" tall by 26" wide. The cooling plate is stretched across the ceiling at the back of the unit. With 3 kegs and 5pm co2 tank, there isn't much room for placement. As I see it, I have a few options...

A) mount on ceiling facing up to draw air upwards, hitting the ceiling which will disperse in all directions.

B) mount on ceiling facing down to draw cold air from the plate down.

C) mount on side wall facing out

D) somehow mount so that airflow directly runs over (or away from???) cooling plate.

All of these mountings involve using long screws and spacers to attach leaving an inch or two of space between keezer wall and the fan.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

1. Yes
2. Very difficult to quantify as many variables apply, but it will make a big difference.
3. The fan position is not critical, however, IMO option "D" would be best. The objective is to circulate the air and keep it moving across the evaporator coils or plate. I would run the fan continuously. Option "B" is a good one as well. It will make little or no difference if the fan blows the air up or down.

I would hang the fan in front of the cooling plate. You could use some stiff wire for this or maybe some nylon cable ties. Maybe hook the wire over the top edge of the cooling plate or something similar. Spacers could be some of those small stick on type rubber/plastic bumpers you can find at HD etc in the door hardware section. The air gap behind or in front of the fan does not need to be very wide. Even 1/2" or so will be a sufficient air gap.

The cooling capacity of a typical dorm fridge is marginal and may not be enough to cool a larger add-on type chamber. Give it plenty of time to get everything cooled down which may take more than a day depending on what you put in it and how cool the items are from the start. FYI, I use fans in all of my fridges and freezers.

Thank you for the feedback!
Has anybody else experimented with fan placement inside of a keezer?

Back