$6.99 Drill Operated Cayboy Cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigscience

Reaction score
After having a particularly gnarly carboy to clean the other day, I got tired of using the brush so I decided to try to build one for the drill. I know there are commercial examples out there but for one, I didn't want to drop the coin on it and two, I like the challenge of making one.

Here is the parts list:

Threaded 5/16 Rod $2.29
12x16 Microfiber Cloth $3.49
5/16 Lock Nut (6@ $0.14) $0.84
1/4 Thread Guard $0.37
Total $6.99

I started out with a new microfiber cloth although I thought about going with a terry cloth/old dish towel. I punched holes at the top, bottom and 2 in the middle. The nuts I'm using have built in "locks" on them with little swirls. At each point, there are two of them that grab the cloth.

-To start, put one nut facing down on, then feed the cloth top hole on, and then another nut facing up.

-Then put another nut facing down on and then feed the center hole(s) on followed by another nut facing up. I used tow holes for the middle.

-Put one nut facing down on, then feed the cloth bottom hole on, and then another nut facing up.

-Adjust all the nuts to keep the cloth tight across the rod and then cinch the nuts on each other.

-Install the 1/4" thread guard on the end of the rob by the cloth. This is more of a carboy guard than a thread guard. I went with 1/4" since it fit tight while the actual 5/16 were too loose.

5650518180_0dab9d6d24_b.jpg

The end cap:

5650518280_3abaefc634_b.jpg

Here is the finished Product:
5650517334_157b2b2e8e_b.jpg

I gave it a wet run on an already cleaned carboy (nothing to clean right now) and it worked great. Seemed to have good coverage and was easy to control due to the larger surface area. The only thing I may end up adding on is a stopper at the to to protect the carboy but it was also easy to hold with a gloved hand.

I'll try to post more picts/a video when the true test comes around.

Looks nice and simple. Does the towel adequately reach the carboy sides in that configuration? That would be my only concern.

StrmStlkr said:
Looks nice and simple. Does the towel adequately reach the carboy sides in that configuration? That would be my only concern.

The towel is 16" wide and the carboy is about 12". When I first ran it dry I couldn't really tell but then when I wet the towel I could see it was hitting the sides. From what I could tell, it was the sides of the towel and not just the tips. I'll see if I can get a slow mo video one of these days too.

Finally hooked up the video camera to take some action shots. Unfortunately, this is a secondary carboy so it really wasn't that dirty so I'm not really testing the performance. I did add a $1.30 carboy stopper so now we're North of $7.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW-TYogZlXI

Sorry I can't figure out how to embed it. I'm slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it's off to the hardware store I go after work. Cleaning my carboy after a very active fermentation of a Hefe was a PITA. I had actually been sold on the idea of the manufactured version, but after this I am so making my own.

-Stanley

Finally hooked up the video camera to take some action shots. Unfortunately, this is a secondary carboy so it really wasn't that dirty so I'm not really testing the performance. I did add a $1.30 carboy stopper so now we're North of $7.

Sorry I can't figure out how to embed it. I'm slow.

WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Those some sexy calfs you got there boy. Where you been all my life? :drunk:

After struggling to clean my 6.5gal carboy, I found and copied this idea. It worked like a charm, especially on the leftover krausen nastiness that sticks to the sides and dries for days on end. Plus it just looks cool when the drill gets the suds flying around the inside of the carboy. Thanks to the OP.

I just made this for $8.48 from Lowe's. I had to use the stop nuts with nylon inserts, which looking back on was a BAD idea, they are a real PITA. I used a 14"x16" cloth, but it seems to wrap around itself a bit so I had to move it around a bit to get all the sides. After soaking two primaries for a bit I had them clean in minutes, great idea, thanks!!

NinjaMedic said:
I just made this for $8.48 from Lowe's. I had to use the stop nuts with nylon inserts, which looking back on was a BAD idea, they are a real PITA. I used a 14"x16" cloth, but it seems to wrap around itself a bit so I had to move it around a bit to get all the sides. After soaking two primaries for a bit I had them clean in minutes, great idea, thanks!!

I thought about those kind of lock nuts too but threading the regular kind on was annoying enough. Maybe just at the tip if I didn't have the cap on it. (wait, that sounds dirty)

To stop the rag from wrapping, start slow and then ramp up the speed. I had the same issue at first.

Please post Picts if you end up building so we can see the different designs.

I thought about those kind of lock nuts too but threading the regular kind on was annoying enough. Maybe just at the tip if I didn't have the cap on it. (wait, that sounds dirty)

To stop the rag from wrapping, start slow and then ramp up the speed. I had the same issue at first.

Please post Picts if you end up building so we can see the different designs.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Pictures to come.

Here's my version. I could not find a microfiber cloth that was big enough, so I had to use two side by side. It works very well. I also took it a step further and built a drill operated bottle cleaner. The bottle brush never does a thorough enough job for me, but this one cleans the bottle in less than 10 seconds. Here's the parts list:

1 - 12" #10-24 all thread (this will clean up to a 22oz bottle easily)
2 - #10-24 nuts
1 - #10-24 split lock washer
2 - #8 Flat washers (I used #8 because I already had them, but #10 will work just as well)
1 - #10 thread protector
1 - microfiber cloth cut down to 3"x3" or 4"x4" (enough to reach all inside surfaces of the bottle
1 - #2 stopper

How to:
-Thread one machine nut, followed by the lock washer and one flat washer on to the all thread.
-Poke a small hole in the center of your cut micro fiber cloth
-Slide on the other flat washer followed by the second machine nut
-Push the thread protecotr on to the end of the rod. (I actually cut about half of mine off because I thought it was too tong and wanted everything to be closer to the bottom of the bottle)
-Thread everything down so that it fits against the thread protector, then tighten it up. I put the rod into the drill chuck and used that to hold it steady so I could work with both hands.

One thing I found is that if you make sure one corner of the cloth is over the thread protector when you put it in the bottle, you'll get better contact between the cloth and the bottom of the bottle.

IMG_20110528_173820.jpg

IMG_20110528_173905.jpg

IMG_20110528_173959.jpg

Just finished building mine based on the last design. Works beautifully! Happy to have seen this as I started cleaning my first brew's first fermenter!

It just goes to show that the experience of others can be beneficial :D

Just finished building mine based on the last design. Works beautifully! Happy to have seen this as I started cleaning my first brew's first fermenter!

It just goes to show that the experience of others can be beneficial :D

I agree with the assessment that the experience of others can be beneficial, so I have to ask (before I build my own), how are you guys cleaning the cloths after use?

Im always curious what people are brewing that requires a brush in their carboys?

Ive never had anything that a soak in warm water and oxyclean overnight , then a good shake and pour the next day didnt get off...

I'm lazy. I just use a scoop of oxyclean and fill it all the way up with the hottest tap water i've got (~138-141 depending on which faucet I'm using). Let that bad boy sit over night and then dump out. I'll probably only need to use a brush every now and then if I dryhopped w/o a bag.

nevertheless, that's a really awesome build.

I used a shamwow cut up in strips and put a hose around the rod so it wouldnt mess up my better bottle. And I used oxy clean and hot water until i made a imperial stout and it was like cement. Made this and havent had a problem since.

Have never, ever cleaned a carboy. Fill carboy with 3 gal of PBW inverted into a small bucket of water for a day or 2, flip over to get the bottom for a day or 2..dump, rinse, clean as clean can be, no extra work that may cut into consumption.

Pumpkinman906 said:
Have never, ever cleaned a carboy. Fill carboy with 3 gal of PBW inverted into a small bucket of water for a day or 2, flip over to get the bottom for a day or 2..dump, rinse, clean as clean can be, no extra work that may cut into consumption.[/QUOTE

Same here. Put a rubber stopper on carboy. Soak upside down for a day or two. Drain and rinse. Clean like new.

Latest posts

Back