Good brewing software for Mac

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got Beer Alchemy and Beer Tools Pro. They are both awesome in their own way, and both have their own unique little annoyances. Can't go wrong either way, in my opinion.

Or you could try Brew Target, which is open source (free). It does about 90% of what the commercials apps do. The main thing it doesn't do is inventory management. I actually think Brew Target's mash designer is more intuitive than either Beer Alchemy or Beer Tools Pro.

Thanks guys. By the time I get done buying everything over the years for brewing beer my wife is going to kill me.

My local brew supply was having a food drive, which was a perfect excuse for the wife, and for me to head over and get some more goodies. I told them they should have a food drive at least once a month :)

I've been using BeerAlchemy. BeerSmith is working on a Mac version, but it keeps getting delayed, so not sure if you wanna wait for that.

The best thing about BeerAlchemy is the support. If you submit feedback they are on it. I had an issue where "Suggest a Beer" did not detect my stock of glacier hops. Sent feedback and 2 days later issue resolved.

Tried BA for a while, gave up when I just couldn't make the mash module produce temperatures that jibed with what I was getting in the MLT.

Anyone wanna pay it forward for beer alchemy ? PM me if your feeling generous

I used Beersmith on my mac via Parallels, but I have to say the best thing out there is excel. Learn the formulas and plug them into a plain old spreadsheet. It will make you a much better brewer once you learn the basic math behind your brew. I don't even use Beersmith anymore, I just have an excel spreadsheet dialed in to my system.

I used Beersmith on my mac via Parallels, but I have to say the best thing out there is excel. Learn the formulas and plug them into a plain old spreadsheet. It will make you a much better brewer once you learn the basic math behind your brew. I don't even use Beersmith anymore, I just have an excel spreadsheet dialed in to my system.

By that logic, a pencil & paper would be even better!:)

I prefer BTP over Alchemy.

Agreed, excel rocks. Pen and paper also works. Another good launching point is tastybrew.com. It's free and shows the calculations for creating a recipe.

I ended up using Beersmith in VMWare because I couldn't find anything comparable.
That's not a bad idea. I had it running on Linux via Crossover/Wine for about a year. I think Beersmith is the overall winner of the brewing software out there. It's just so sane in its approach to everything.

Pretty much all software does recipe formulation well. My big gripe with most software is non-intuitive mash scheduling. That's why I like Beersmith the best, and BrewTarget is a very close second for mashing.

Latest posts

Back