Dryhop with metal spice screen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldogxray

Reaction score
I bought one of those metal balls that are made out of screen and I was thinking of using it to dryhop in my corny. Does it mater if there is not as much surface area in contact with the hops becasue it is all enclosed in the ball?

I don't think so as I use a bag in my cornies.

Does it float when full of hops?

I use 2 metal tea balls in 5 gallons. I fill it less than halfway up and the hops expand to fill it fully. They don't float. I use a piece of string and suspend them down inside the beer.

Some folks just chuck em in. Others use small grain bags / hop bags. Those will float so you may want to weigh them down.

I just chuck mine in and rack carefully. I saw one of those metal spice balls the other day at wallmart, will they even fit inside the opening of a carboy? Maybe a better bottle?

I just chuck mine in and rack carefully. I saw one of those metal spice balls the other day at wallmart, will they even fit inside the opening of a carboy? Maybe a better bottle?

I was going to rack to a corney after femintation and dryhop there. They will not fit in a carboy

Latest posts

Back