Another keezer in the making!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okgasdude

Reaction score
I am planning on an Irish coffin with 2 taps, and space in between for a third later on. Just got it started this weekend. Will update when I get to work on it some more.:rockin:

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb292/okgasdude/336e0f44.png
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb292/okgasdude/eba42e82.png
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb292/okgasdude/42b8cedf.png

Edit: Almost forgot the best part, SWMBO got all the parts for me for my birthday!! I think she is almost as excited as I am to get my brew on tap!

I am planning on an Irish coffin with 2 taps, and space in between for a third later on. Just got it started this weekend. Will update when I get to work on it some more.:rockin:

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb292/okgasdude/336e0f44.png
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb292/okgasdude/eba42e82.png
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb292/okgasdude/42b8cedf.png

336e0f44.png

eba42e82.png

42b8cedf.png

no clicky

Just make sure that you leave ventilation on the side of your freezer has it.

Hey thanks! I'm a lowly noob, cant post pics. And for the ventilation, I found an oak floor register today at Lowe's that I will take apart!!:rockin:

I was able to get a little bit more finished on the top today. I also decided to go with tile on the top. Now it's time for some brew!:tank:

4f5a993c.png

412c0bdc.png

I thought it would be ok not having the space between the walls and the wood season how it is going to be in the house in the ac, but after putting the IR thermometer to it, I am going to modify it. The sides of that bad boy hover around 115 degrees during operation!! I don't think I will have much trouble changing it though.

I think it makes sense to give some better ventilation, but the side where the compressor is should get hot during operation. Is it just that side or all around? Try taking the wood off completely and see how hot it gets just as a test

I think it makes sense to give some better ventilation, but the side where the compressor is should get hot during operation. Is it just that side or all around? Try taking the wood off completely and see how hot it gets just as a test

I actually did have it all off, and it was the compressor side that was the hottest. I have a vent to cut in on that side, and I am toying with the idea of mounting a small fan in the compressor compartment that would kick on with the compressor.

That's probably a good call. I doubt the little fan you put in there will use much energy, so it doesn't necessarily need to kick on/off with the compressor. Again, not a bad idea you have though. It won't heat up with the compressor off

Finished a little more today, took care of the heating issue. Put some 3/4 in square blocks around the inside of the skin to make some room for airflow. Had to add some wood here and there, but it's coming together so far. Hope to get to start on the coffin tomorrow!!:rockin:

6f138e28.png

I laid a little tile out to get an idea of my end result...Sorry for the bad pic, I'll get a better one tomorrow!

c6fd5714.png

Well, slowly but surely, its coming together. I have completed the trim on the lid, at least until the coffin is up. Had to cut it short today, because we were almost out of Dr. Pepper! The next step is to remove the freezer lid and mount it to my lid, and cut the hole for the coffin. Man, I cant wait to get this baby flowing, I have 2 kegs ready and waiting!!!:drunk:

db5da31f.png

Little bit of router burn on the lower piece of trim, but it will sand out!!

f4edc6bc.png

you may want to put some holes or lift the wood from the ground so air can flow in the bottom then up the sides and out the top, as the condenser on a freezer normally goes in loops around the outside. it needs to disperse the heat to work (remember freezers/fridges/AC units work as a heat pump moving the heat from inside to the outside, if it cant escape it wont work)

you may want to put some holes or lift the wood from the ground so air can flow in the bottom then up the sides and out the top, as the condenser on a freezer normally goes in loops around the outside. it needs to disperse the heat to work (remember freezers/fridges/AC units work as a heat pump moving the heat from inside to the outside, if it cant escape it wont work)

There is actually about a half inch gap all the way around the top between the skin and the lid just for that. I am also going to be cutting about a 6" X 12" hole in the lower left side to put a vent in where the vent is on the freezer. I am also toying with the idea of a small fan in the compressor bay that will cycle with the compressor.:tank:

you need to vent air from around the whole outside not just the compressor, if you lift the wood about 1 or 1.5 inches of the ground it would solve the problem. infact it might remove heat better as it would create a chimney affect and pull cold air in the bottom and up the side

you need to vent air from around the whole outside not just the compressor, if you lift the wood about 1 or 1.5 inches of the ground it would solve the problem. infact it might remove heat better as it would create a chimney affect and pull cold air in the bottom and up the side

Well, I was planning on raising it a little before I secured it, but I was thinking more along the lines of a half inch. Also, this baby will be living on the inside, in the AC.:D

I was finally able to work in the shop some today! I didn't get a whole lot done, but it was progress none the less. Got the coffin started, and the hole cut for it.:rockin:

d521e409.png

40c35ab9.png

Got to make a little more headway after work today! Mounted the top of the coffin, got the tap holes drilled, and mounted the coffin to the lid. :ban: Man I cant wait to get this baby going!!!

95d9bcf1.png

1891cd78.png

+1. The outside skin is the heatsink for the freezer. It needs good air flow to work else you can burn the compressor and have poor temp control. Being in the A/C does not excuse the need for good air flow over the skin of the freezer. These things really heat up when the compessor is going and that heat needs to be able to dissipate.

My brand-new freezer build kicks off enough heat to warm my 400' finished basement a few degrees. You do not want that heat trapped by plywood near your beers.

Looking sharp okgasdude. A few questions for you:

-What's the rated sidewall clearance on your freezer? I used a similar design to yours with spacer blocks and some passive routes for air and it worked just fine. I went with much thinner sidewall panels (1/8") but as long as you have the air clearance rated for your freezer, you're probably going to be fine. My sidewalls never got so hot as when I first fired up the thing, now the compressor runs here and there and they barely get warm.

-Also, are you planning on cooling the tower at all and if so, what's your plan?

+1. The outside skin is the heatsink for the freezer. It needs good air flow to work else you can burn the compressor and have poor temp control. Being in the A/C does not excuse the need for good air flow over the skin of the freezer. These things really heat up when the compessor is going and that heat needs to be able to dissipate.

My brand-new freezer build kicks off enough heat to warm my 400' finished basement a few degrees. You do not want that heat trapped by plywood near your beers.

There is a gap at the top, a gap at the bottom, and a 3/4" gap between the freezer and the skin. There will also be a vent on the side where the freezer vent is, and possibly a fan in the compressor compartment.

Looking sharp okgasdude. A few questions for you:

-What's the rated sidewall clearance on your freezer? I used a similar design to yours with spacer blocks and some passive routes for air and it worked just fine. I went with much thinner sidewall panels (1/8") but as long as you have the air clearance rated for your freezer, you're probably going to be fine. My sidewalls never got so hot as when I first fired up the thing, now the compressor runs here and there and they barely get warm.

-Also, are you planning on cooling the tower at all and if so, what's your plan?

I'm not sure what the sidewall clearance is.I just figured that I would be ok with the clearence I have. As far as the coffin goes, I may put a fan in to pull air into it.

As far as the coffin goes, I may put a fan in to pull air into it.

with a little duct work you can vent the coldest air from the bottom of the freezer into the tower. this will have the added benefit of stirring the air in the keezer to help keep the temperature even throughout the chest.

with a little duct work you can vent the coldest air from the bottom of the freezer into the tower. this will have the added benefit of stirring the air in the keezer to help keep the temperature even throughout the chest.

I didn't think about that! I could use some 4" dryer vent duct, and make that happen. Thanks, I think I will have to do that.:mug:

Look'n good! How are you going to finish that wood?

I've heard of good success with just running the beer lines up a copper tube into the tower--no additional ventilation needed, the copper pulls the heat down to the freezer area. You'll also have greater success with some insulation inside that tower...maybe drill a hole in the rear at the top and squirt in some foam? Otherwise, pipe-wrap works pretty well ;).

Look'n good! How are you going to finish that wood?

I've heard of good success with just running the beer lines up a copper tube into the tower--no additional ventilation needed, the copper pulls the heat down to the freezer area. You'll also have greater success with some insulation inside that tower...maybe drill a hole in the rear at the top and squirt in some foam? Otherwise, pipe-wrap works pretty well ;).

I still have some trim to get on it, but I am going to stain it and put a few coats of poly on it. Our house has oak trim, so I am going to use the same stain for the keeze! Funny you should say something about insulation, I just brought home a 4 x 8 sheet of r5 foam for the coffin and the freezer lid.:rockin:

Got to work a little more tonight...Got the back on the coffin, sealed the coffin with silicone, got the trim on the front of the coffin. Also cut the last two tile trim pieces for the top. Getting closer!!:drunk:

5b7e30a6.png

ab385c40.png

f444d94a.png

Looks like a quality project!

Do you all remove the faucets to clean them well, or just run sanitizer through them between each batch?

Looks like a quality project!

Do you all remove the faucets to clean them well, or just run sanitizer through them between each batch?

I don't remove/disassemble the faucets for cleaning. I run soda water through the lines and faucets about once a week or so. About once a month I run hot oxiclean or PBW through the lines and faucets followed by a cold water rinse. I normally have a keg of soda water on tap which makes it quick and easy to do the weekly flush.

Finished a little more today....got the trim mounted on the skin, got the vent cut and installed, and sanded the skin. Still need to fill all my nail holes, insulate and sand the coffin, stain and clear coat, lay the tile, and it's all over but the drinkin!!:rockin:

378c8274.png

27a9d7de.png

Hey all, I finally got to go to the shop again! So far, I have gotten her stained, and a coat of sand and sealer on er. I have also sanded it down, and hit it with tack cloth. Next up is the polyurethane!! Hope to get the first coat on sometime this week. :rockin:

Here it is after staining:

5a5603b9.png

e25d7440.png

And here it is after coating with sand and sealer, but before sanding:

35bf8809.png

c915691a.png

Looks gorgeous!

One comment based upon my experience building a coffin (see trashcanorator build in my sig), you might want to find a way to extend the taps a bit more away from the box. Mine were dripping way too close to the base of the coffin box. I ended up finding a pretty good prefabbed solution, but looking at your woodworking skills, you could probably do something much nicer...

Looks gorgeous!

One comment based upon my experience building a coffin (see trashcanorator build in my sig), you might want to find a way to extend the taps a bit more away from the box. Mine were dripping way too close to the base of the coffin box. I ended up finding a pretty good prefabbed solution, but looking at your woodworking skills, you could probably do something much nicer...

Thanks for the info. I checked your thread, and I see what you mean. For now I'm going with no drip tray at all, and just having the tile. If I end up going crazy, I will just get one of the smaller stainless drip trays and put on there. If I do that, I will prob. push it all the way up to the coffin. Glad you like it, and thanks for the tip!:mug:

Ok guys were getting really close now. Finished the 2nd coat of poly tonight. The keez is looking great so far. Tomorrow night I'm going to move her in the house, and install her perlicks! Still have some little stuff here and there, but I will pull a pint tomorrow night!!! :rockin::ban::rockin:

Sorry for the blurry pic! I will do better next time.
1208c0ab.png

cf561a6c.png

58ac4250.png

Back