Did I screw up my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miropovo

Reaction score
I'm brewing my second ever batch of beer. The first was an IPA. This one is a Russian Imperial Stout. I moved on from total liquid malt to a mix of liquid malt, dry malt, and hops. Also using my first flavoring and aromatics. I'm still using a kit though.

Everything went fine during the brew process until I added my Whirlfloc Irish moss. I had gotten used to emptying the whole package of all the ingredients and didn't notice the usage was one tablet per 5 gallons! I used all 10!! That foamed the **** out of my brew. Will that substantially alter the brew in a bad way?

Also my OG was 1.065. Is that too low for this kind of beer? My homebrew store recommended 1.078 - 1.082 for an OG.

Thanks

If you were just using malt extract and not getting any sugars from grain your OG should be around what the LHBS said. AFAIK you can't have efficiency problems just adding DME or Liquid ME

Did you take a sample when it was warm? The temp of the wort will change what your hydrometer reads. Did you stir everything really well?

I've never added more then one tablet of whirl flock to my brew lol. How does it taste? I wouldn't worry about it though will probably be fine. Maybe that made your og low?

LMAO I know I screwed the pooch with the Whirlflock! I'm glad I'm getting all these mistakes out of the way early on. I suppose it's all part of the learning process. The brew smelled ok ad didn't seem too bad, but adding all those tabs really foamed everything up.

I was using an intermediate kit that had LME, DME, sugar, hops, and a BIAB portion. I took my sample after it had cooled substantially and just before I pitched the yeast. I believe I stirred everything really well. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I'll let everyone know how it does throughout the process.

Thanks for the response!

Whirlfloc _should_ precipitate out for the most part. I wouldn't do that again in the future, but I'd relax and not worry about it in this brew!

I bet it'll be really clear!

This reminds me of some of the early beers that I made and drank, telling myself they were good.

At the time they were, but if I had to drink one of them today, I believe I would be very disappointed.

Keep brewing, all will continue to get better with repetition and education.

Bull

Thanks for the responses. I already made several notes all over the place that read "1 tablet per 5 gallons!" I'm going to take that advice and not worry about it. It's going to turn out like it will. I will definitely learn from this mistake though!

So you think that much Whirfloc will calrify it to a ridiculous level? Will it make it a lighter colored stout? If that's possible. Would it affect the flavor?

Thanks again for the responses. I will definitely continue brewing. I have wanted to do it for years, and I have to say, I am already hooked!

So you think that much Whirfloc will calrify it to a ridiculous level? Will it make it a lighter colored stout? If that's possible. Would it affect the flavor?

To be honest i have no idea about the color, I dont think you would get to be to light even with that much whirfloc added. I would however think that it might effect the body of your beer some. It may seem kind of thin for a stout. But I am no expert sooo you need to be sure to post back the results of your beer once its done and let us know becuase I dont think many people could do more than speculate. Im sure that there is somebody out there that could answere this question for you, but getting them to fess up to adding that much whirfloc is not likely. And that my good Sir is why you need to post your results as well as maybe some pictures.

Eric. ;)

lol holy crap, 10 whirfloc? Aren't you suppose to use like 1/2 of one per 5 gallons? lol.

Back