how long it too long in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaron4osu

Reaction score
I brewed an all grain batch of brown ale last November. I got lazy with the cold weather and never bottled or moved to secondary. I haven't opened the fermenter since November. do you think this batch is salvageable, or too much tome on the trub?

thanks, Aaaron

Seems like a pretty long time for a primary fermentation.
I would expect some off flavours, but you won't know until you take a sample and smell or taste it.

I hope it turns out ok, good luck!

Should be fine, if it is a high gravity beer then is probably excellent. Barring any infections.

Brew on my friend:mug:

I did the same thing recently and tasted a sample. It was totally fine. Fantastic even. I feel autolysis is overstated, thus, over feared.

Cheers,
Scott

thanks guys. it warmed up here in cbus, and I waking up from winter hibernation. It tasted pretty good, so I went ahead and bottled it, except for about 3/4 of a bottle of room temp flat oatmeal brown ale which I'm drinking now. musty say it's surprisingly good.

please promptly ship me 6 bottles for testing.......oh wait that's not legal.

You beer will be fine so long as the airlock didn't dry up. I would say that among homebrewers, extended primary fermentations are become preferred. I know for a fact that I get clearer, cleaner and better attenuated beers with an extended primary fermentation.

I plan on leaving my belgian strong ale on the primary cake above 70 degrees for at least 4 weeks...maybe longer.

Latest posts

Back