Therminator, Ice Water, Whirlpool... question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The whirlpooling like this works very well once you get it tuned. I circulate for my cooling, then allow the system to rest for 20 minutes while I clean up. When I come back, most of the break is in the center of the kettle and not in my fermenter. I am thinking of adding a filter bag from Duda to my setup to get that last bit of break and trub.
What is your type of chiller?

I use two hard mounted chilling coils. One goes in the BK and one in the HLT. They cross circulate to cool rapidly. I call it the DICHES (Dual-Immersion Coil Heat Exchange System). CHeck out my build thread if you are interested (it is in my sig).

I use two hard mounted chilling coils. One goes in the BK and one in the HLT. They cross circulate to cool rapidly. I call it the DICHES (Dual-Immersion Coil Heat Exchange System). CHeck out my build thread if you are interested (it is in my sig).

That is really cool...

Thanks. I am really happy with it. Plus I will be way more happy with it, once I actually have the setup to use the HERMS feature of the system.

I was explaining my "new" cooling process to my FO yesterday... it sounds like gibberish, I am sure, but he asked. Placing an order at McMaster to get my whirlpooling items for the modified kettle this week ;)

I will be using some LocLine with a QD that protrudes from the side of the kettle so that I can attach my silicone hose from the HERMS coil.

Week or two, plan to break in a new PH meter and test for conversion to see exactly when it is complete. Sacc. was telling me that he suspects in 30 mins with the HERMS and the fact that I mash thinner than most.

I think I can do an AG brew in 3:10 minutes from mash in to yeast pitch.

3.5 hours sounds too good. I welded my structure Thursday night. Just having multiple pots and burners is going to cut my time down, but I know I won't be in the 3.5 range.

Here are some photos:
BrewBeastcooling.JPG

Keggle Fittings:
Kegglerecirc1.JPG

Kegglerecirc3.JPG

Keggle Recirc. Indside:
Kegglerecirc2.JPG

$27 of stuff from McMasterCarr and 30 minutes to drill a hole and set it up. Also took delivery of another HDPE fermentor and some extra silicone tubing. My digital PH monitor will be here tomorrow... my next brew will have plenty of NEW things going on! Hopingto brewcast a Pilsner in 2 weeks... just been a little busy flying sumulators lately.

How has this been working for you. I am getting closer to finishing my rig and I still have a few things to decide.

I am using a corny for heat transfer to the MLT. I plan to use this as well to cool. Along with another immersion either in the MLT or directly in the boil kettle.

I had I thought I wanted to run by you. I live in the mountains of colorado. How well do you think it would work if I filled the MLT completely full with snow. and recirculated water through it. Either the wort or just the ice water from the HLT that the wort from the BK is recirculating from.

We have snow on the ground for at least 6 months of the year. When it comes summer time again I can figure something else out. Maybe just make or buy more ice.

Any thoughts?

How has this been working for you. I am getting closer to finishing my rig and I still have a few things to decide.

I am using a corny for heat transfer to the MLT. I plan to use this as well to cool. Along with another immersion either in the MLT or directly in the boil kettle.

I had I thought I wanted to run by you. I live in the mountains of colorado. How well do you think it would work if I filled the MLT completely full with snow. and recirculated water through it. Either the wort or just the ice water from the HLT that the wort from the BK is recirculating from.

We have snow on the ground for at least 6 months of the year. When it comes summer time again I can figure something else out. Maybe just make or buy more ice.

Any thoughts?

I'm not cool enough yet to have a herms setup but I do a closed cooling sytem on my balcony with 6 gallons of water and 15 lbs of ice I draw off the first 2.5 gallons for cleaning than just have a sump pump with a 30 ft IC. Today I brewed and packed my bucket with snow and 4 gallons of water 5.5 gallons of wort cooled to 70 in 21 minutes. Wow long drawn out answer.........yep snow works wonders!

I'm not cool enough yet to have a herms setup but I do a closed cooling sytem on my balcony with 6 gallons of water and 15 lbs of ice I draw off the first 2.5 gallons for cleaning than just have a sump pump with a 30 ft IC. Today I brewed and packed my bucket with snow and 4 gallons of water 5.5 gallons of wort cooled to 70 in 21 minutes. Wow long drawn out answer.........yep snow works wonders!

Something bizarre is going on here in colorado. I was just down in englewood over the weekend. That is where I bought my kegs. There was snow on the ground. We don't really have any here in Eagle yet:confused:

I am going to try the snow deal. Free cooling works with my budget.

Haha right its been a weird colorado weather year. the snow thing works great IMHO my neighbors look at me funny when I stockpile it on the north side of the apt building

Oh yeah big thing to remember avoid the yellow snow : ) .........and chunks they clog ICs. :)

Well, snow is ice, so I dont see why it wouldnt work. It may be a bit fluffy and take up more volume than ICE would, but it is the same concept.

My system has worked really well for me. I am now using 3 gallons of water and 44 pounds of ice and it cools to lager temps nicely. I just start the pump and let it recirc. to the kettle and come back 30 minutes later. It is below 70F within 20 minutes and near 58F by 30 minutes.

The faster you can melt the ice, or frozen substance, the faster your cooling will be. This said, my ice is also about 10F when it goes into the cooling chamber, which means that it carries with it the ability to absorb more calories than say 25F snow/ice.

Snow will work, the volume vs weight and the actual temp. of the snow will make a difference in the cooling capability, but it will certainly work.

My rig us up for the winter, now it is coffee roasting til spring.

Hey Pol,

Not sure if you are still monitoring this but I came across it looking for info on the therminator.

I just helped Yooper with some wiring for her new brewery. She seems happy with it!

I didnt read all of this post so maybe I missed it but I did not see where anyone did any calculations for chilling with ice.

Changing ice@32 degrees to water requires 144BTU/lb.
Boiling to 70degrees [142] at 5 gallons and 8.35lb/gal = 142x5x8.35 = 5930BTU

44lbs seems likely as 44lbs x 144BTU = 6336BTU

Thats a lot of ice especially if you want to do 10 gallon or bigger batches!

Hey Pol,

Not sure if you are still monitoring this but I came across it looking for info on the therminator.

I just helped Yooper with some wiring for her new brewery. She seems happy with it!

I didnt read all of this post so maybe I missed it but I did not see where anyone did any calculations for chilling with ice.

Changing ice@32 degrees to water requires 144BTU/lb.
Boiling to 70degrees [142] at 5 gallons and 8.35lb/gal = 142x5x8.35 = 5930BTU

44lbs seems likely as 44lbs x 144BTU = 6336BTU

Thats a lot of ice especially if you want to do 10 gallon or bigger batches!

Yeah 44 pounds is A LOT...

You also have to look at the temp. of the ice. Ice is colder than 32F, so you use calories to heat the ice TO 32F, then more calories to MELT it, then even more calories to HEAT it to say 50F.

Yeah 44 pounds is A LOT...

You also have to look at the temp. of the ice. Ice is colder than 32F, so you use calories to heat the ice TO 32F, then more calories to MELT it, then even more calories to HEAT it to say 50F.

Well 44lbs is only about 5 gallons. If its winter and you have a big freezer outdoors thats not hard.

check out this site if want to do some calculations (maybe it will help with your new build):

http://www.3dplumbing.net/ontplumbing/latent_heat.htm

ice 0 to 32 = 16BTU/lb
ice 32 to water = 144BTU/lb

the state change gives most of the cooling capacity.

By the way, I was impressed with your old rig. Yooper even showed me the magazine article (BYO?). I gotta get over and check out a brew day with it.

Well 44lbs is only about 5 gallons. If its winter and you have a big freezer outdoors thats not hard.

check out this site if want to do some calculations (maybe it will help with your new build):

http://www.3dplumbing.net/ontplumbing/latent_heat.htm

ice 0 to 32 = 16BTU/lb
ice 32 to water = 144BTU/lb

the state change gives most of the cooling capacity.

By the way, I was impressed with your old rig. Yooper even showed me the magazine article (BYO?). I gotta get over and check out a brew day with it.

Thanks, yes I calculated the ice as 5 gallons volume in the old rig. Though, once it is cubed, it ends up taking up MUCH more volume. A solid block will not cool as effectively due to the greatly reduced surface area.

I am glad she is enjoying it, I learned a lot building that thing!

Latest posts

Back