Bottling with fresh juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickThoR

Reaction score
I have a citrus wheat beer bubbling away and I really want a citrusy orange taste, so i got to thinking....

A typical navel orange has ~ 23 grams of sugar, so if i were to calculate

5 oz of priming sugar = ~141 grams
141/ 23= 6.1

So in theory would I be able to prime my 5 gallon batch with the juice of 6 to 7 oranges (the extra for waste)??

Ive been pondering on the subject and could use some thought on the issue.
thanks.

I'm no expert, but only one way to find out, right?

How much volume would it add per bottle?

How can you be sure on exactly how much surgar your getting out of your oganges? It could be way too little, or...ka-boom! That'd be my only concern.

Maybe use store bought oj? it would be already pastourized, the sugar amount would be labeled, just use an oj with no additives, just oranges water and sugar.

Can you take a S.G. reading of the juice, and calculate the sugar contained in it? It should be a similar calculation to priming with reserved wort.

i cracked it open the other day, it was pretty good, but a little to much oj flavor. It was more like beer in my oj then oj in my beer flavor. Next time i would probably do like half oj half corn sugar solution.

Latest posts

Back