Boiling fruit...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadBoozer

Reaction score
Hi !!
I learned that to boil fruits isn't really a good idea before fermenting them.
I thought it would be a good idea to kill the "wild yeast" present in the fruit(as I read somewhere), so I boiled an orange and some raisins(dried grapes) before putting it in a gallon of mead which is now fermenting. I kinda mashed the oranges parts while it was boiling to get most of the juice out, than I put all the stuff in the mead mix.
But well, I would like to know if it's really not a good idea or if it's ok...as I would like to try out some wine made out of fruit... !
Thank you !!! :tank: :mug:

Not a great idea, kind hurts the flavor and will caramelize sugars in fruits. It will be alittle harder to clear, but it can be done. That being said I know people make wine out of Jam and jelly all the time and like it. The fruits in them are boiled

My aunts and uncles all boil their fruit with water before fermenting - they boil until the fruit bursts (versus crushing or pressing) then strain the juice into the primary. I notice their wine is alot more watery(?) than I would prefer, but they have no problems with clarity.

I have my first batch in the primary - I boiled my frozen blueberries in water, mashed them, then added it all to the primary. It's bubblin' along fine so far!

I don't boil my fruit. Generally, I use campden tablets (one per gallon, crushed and dissolved) in the must, then 24 hours later add the yeast to the must. It works great, and doesn't have the drawbacks that boiling the fruit does.

Back