Barleywine 2006

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
Last year's Barleywine is almost a year old, so I'm getting ready to crack it open officially (I've sampled 1 or 2 over the year :p). I'm planning on something a little different that last year. Last years was loosely based on the Bigfoot recipe in Beer Captured. The gravity came out around 1.090, but I want to go bigger this time. I also want to use up some of the hops that I have in the fridge, the bulk being whole Cascade and pellet Amarillo. I don't know what yeast I want to use yet, but I have a good stock in the fridge. Here's the plan for a 3 gallon brew:

10 lbs. 2-row
1 lb. Crystal 20
0.5 lb. Victory
0.25 lb. Belgian Aromatic
0.25 lb. Flaked Barley

1.75 oz Northern Brewer 6.9% Whole 60 min
1.5 oz Amarillo 7.0% Pellet 15 min
2.0 oz Cascade 6.6% Whole 5 min
0.75 oz each Amarillo ad Cascade Dry Hopped

OG: 1.113
IBU: 94
SRM: 10
ABV: 11%

If you don't mind, I may follow this thread in order to use your recipe and do the same thing.

Here is a question about brewing bigger beers:

With a grain bill like this one, I would think that you'd have to sparge with 7-8 gallons of water in order to get all the sugar out of that grain. Well, then it would take a really long boil in order to hit that expected gravity. Am I missing something here, or is that how this brew will have to be done?

I think that I would rather buy a bag of DME to supplement a regular sparge than boil off that much volume to get that target gravity.

That is the case. I'm pretty much making a 5 gallon brew, but boiling it down to 3 gallons. One of these days I'll do it the old fashioned way and batch sparge and use the first runnings for the barleywine and make a regular ale with the second runnings, but for now I only have the mash space for this.

Yes using extract would be easier and faster, but for me that's not the point.

Back