Anyone done Basic Brewing Low Tech Lagering System??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
I have the video and was wondering if it worked well enough. I was also thinking I could run two carboys off the central square cooler if I changed the milk jugs once, perhaps twice per day. What say you?

I don't lager, but to crash cool I put my fermenter in an igloo ice cube cooler with 8 frozen spring water bottles and swap them out a couple times a day. This gets the fermenter temp down to 35F.

Unless you've already got the cooler, pumps, tubs and plumbing, the Low Tech Lagering is very likely gonna end up costing more than a $50 Craigslist freezer and a JC temp controller.

Unless you've already got the cooler, pumps, tubs and plumbing, the Low Tech Lagering is very likely gonna end up costing more than a $50 Craigslist freezer and a JC temp controller.

True, but I've gotta lug the freezer, put it somewhere where it isn't going to be movable, and the old lady would take a dump if I took up all that space on a permeate basis.

i would liek to answer you but i'm not sure what your referring too.

The "Basic Brewing Podcast" guys came up withe this system where you take an ice chest (square) with water and milk jugs turned to ice to cool it, run plastic tubing out of it into a 10 gal Igloo drinking cooler with coils of soft copper pipe in it you slide your carboy into. A small pond pump pumps the ice water into the tubes and back to the main cooler with the temp controlled by a temp controller. In the video they just run the plastic hose out the top of the main ice chest with the lid cracked. A better solution would be to drill holes into the ice chest and seal it up with silicone caulk IMHO. Right now Dollar General is getting ready to put the square cooler on clearance for $20.00.

Back