Only in the bottle for four days...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZGirl

Reaction score
...and I have a massive unbearable urge to chuck one in the freezer and drink it asap...

I thought waiting while it was in the primary was difficult. This is worse! :rolleyes:

HaHa!

Go out a buy some Import stuff you have never had before, use the excuse that you need the bottles. That is what I did to pass the time.

Aw hell, do it. I taste one a week for those three weeks. It will help you get a better feel for the process. Just make sure you stop at one per week.:D

Oh stop tempting me you bad boys... lol...

I know very well if I open that beer it will be cloudy and flat!

Well curb it gorgeous....you'll make it through this hardest part...

just think this is the first and only time you'll have this happen...you have if I recall correctly another one in primary,,,and that means you have an empty fermenter open...fill it again..and by the time you crack your first beer you will be bottling another batch...

We call it having a pipeline...

Panzerman's right...whenver I have a gap in mine it's off to the store for "Bottle restock and new style research" (if only I could find a way to write it off my taxes.)

:mug:

Well curb it gorgeous....you'll make it through this hardest part...

just think this is the first and only time you'll have this happen...you have if I recall correctly another one in primary,,,and that means you have an empty fermenter open...fill it again..and by the time you crack your first berr you will be bottling another batch...

We call it having a pipeline...

Panzerman's right...whenver I have a gap in mine it's off to the store for "Bottle restock and new style research:

lol Revvy, I already refilled that second primary... so I have the two primaries full again, and I look at those a couple of times a day (beer eye candy) and I pick up one of my bottles and squeeze it and look at it a few times a day... sigh... lol... there's only so much looking one can do!

lol

you know it's already in the freezer!

dont be too bumed out. i tried my first batch after 5 days and it was not tasty.
after two weeks it was, and then it was just gone.
i did manage to hide one from myself for 5 or 6 weeks, and it was much, much better.

im drinkin eds haus pale right now, fermentor for 3 weeks, and bottle for four, and it is still not good!
it was my first ag, i had to have messed it up. nobody would rave about this beer im drinking. i thinnk ed's haus pale is over 1200 gallons brewed thus far.
not this crap im drinkin ;)

it needs a few more weeks (err, months?)

I was hoping that feeling would go away but after batch #19 . . .it's still there!!

Yeah...but at least for us we have a pipeline so there is stuff to drink...and my IPA is screaming at me to bottle it...

It could be worse gang, our hobby could be winemaking...where you don't get to drink it for a year at least...

so I guess we got it lucky.

:D

lol... stop it... I am vulnerable! ;)

I have a thing for vulanerable women, we could take you mind of it. I would offer to buy you a drink but that would be a bit tough... So Im Jack, How do you like me so far?:drunk:

Cheers

To voice the side of reason here, there have been several times when I tried a beer while it was too young and it had an off taste and then I had to worry about that for a couple weeks until the green flavor was gone. That was much worse than having just let it go the full 3 weeks in the first place. Impatience + Worry = 2 x Impatience.

so you bottled around 44 or 48 or so right?

whats one beer?

I did the same thing tried one from my first batch at week one

two and three

helps you to learn what green beers taste like and how the flavors

blend with time

call it research

besides no one every forgets their first time for anything

Aack, all this talk of pipeline and drinking after four days is killing me. I've had the first batch in the bottles for one week as of today. I know they're carbed because they're plastic liter bottles and they're rock hard. The last bottle, which was a little cloudy is now crystal clear and I am tempted. However, it's a Mr. Beer batch and if I crack a bottle I only have seven left. So, I wait, at least two more weeks, then one in the refrigerator.

However, realizing that I need to pick up the pace if this "pipeline" is ever going to materialize, I picked up a five gallon equipment kit at the local More Beer supplier to supplement my Mr. Beer. :D Unfortunately, I head out of town soon and can't start really laying down batches until early February, but, once I can, watch out!!!

So what did the FG (wine thief) Qty taste like??? Was it good? is that why you are wanting to open a bottle early?

Two more in the pipeline! WOOOT!! Nice work NZGirl!

I've got to get another started, but am waiting for my cooler as I don't have enough snow around to chill another 5 gal batch.

My advice is to drink one, ignore how it tastes and leave the rest for the time required, you need to understand when beer is green, drink it and you will know what that means.

I usually sample the first bottle from a batch at about 2-2.5 weeks. At least then you're drinking carbonated green beer, and you I can still certainly taste the difference as it ages. I say wait at least another week - my first couple of batches I did try one after only a week and they were really not very good - just a waste of a beer because I didn't even finish them.

We'll understand if you give in and try one, but don't make any judgments about the batch based on such a young sample - and especially don't post a "what did I do wrong" thread LOL

It depends on the style and whether or not I did a cold secondary, but my beers usually start having some slight carbonation to them after about 4-5 days in the bottle, and are nearly fully carbonated after about 10. I rarely get green flavors because I let the beers bulk age (usually by doing an extended, 3+ week primary) before I bottle them.

So go ahead and give it a shot - it can be very educational to taste the beer throughout its evolution (I even have taken to drinking the decanted "beer" from my very lightly hopped yeast starters - not half bad, sometimes).

Just don't stress if it tastes funny. More likely than not, it will improve with time. My one suggestion is to put the bottles in the freezer for about 45 minutes and then transfer them to the fridge for another day before popping it open. That pretty much shocks the yeast and causes them to drop out of solution, reducing the "yeast bite" that some people refer to as the typical "green beer" taste.

Back