More bubbling.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle6357

Reaction score
Beer has been in the primary for a week and a day. Today I noticed it started bubbling again......is this normal? Temp has been pretty constant at 68-70; may have dropped to 66 in the room last night as it got SUPER cold here.....but back to normal now.

I have a lager that's doing that right now -- It's at 58 in my basement

Your beer is done when the FG is the same for 3 days in a row.

Mine did the same exact thing. Even since the bubbling returned, my fg hasn't changed, and from what I've learned, thats all that really matters

Just warming up a couple of degrees can cause co2 to come out of solution, and the airlock will bubble. When a cold front comes through, or the barometric pressure changes, the airlock can bubble. It doesn't mean much at all.

If fermentation is finished, the krausen will fall and the beer will start to clear and the SG readings will no longer change. Those are the main clues that it's done.

Here's my guess as to why you saw airlock activity.

CO2 can dissolve more readily in colder liquid. When the temperature dropped, CO2 went readily into solution. As the temperature increased, some of the CO2 was driven out of solution, causing your airlock to bubble.

As others have said, trust your hydrometer. And patience. . . .

Latest posts

Back