Bucket Lid Seal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnapierala

Reaction score
Should my bucket lid have some sort of a rubber seal or do these things just seal up plastic to plastic?
My dads bucket does but mine doesnt. Is there a way i can check to make sure its sealing up?

Well, you can turn it upside down with the lid fit on and a finger over the hole. See if it leaks. That is as good as you need it. If you think about it, the real purpose of the lid is to prevent airborne contamination from yeasts, bacteria, molds....which they really aren't going to get in through a imperfectly sealed lid. Sure it can be an escape for gas and possibly krausen but that is not so big a deal imo. I am guessing you are fine.

Put the lid on, put the airlock in with some water in it. Press on the top. The water level should change.

david_42 said:
Put the lid on, put the airlock in with some water in it. Press on the top. The water level should change.

Yeah what he said. :D

That is the best and easiest way.

Ever since I saw the 10 barrel fermenters at NorthPeak Brewery in Traverse City, Michigan with wide open tops (yes, no lid at all) I don't worry too much about an airtight seal.

My fermenters have a plexiglass lid, over the top of a stainless steel bucket. I hold it down with a box of rifle shells and some clamps on the edges.

Some of my buckets have seals and some don't. I use a blow-off tube but really don't worry if it's sealed airtight or not.

Back