Determining ABV% when adding fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastricky

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I am making a Cherry Beer. I let it ferment for 2 weeks and the gravity went from 1.051 to 1.013 in that time. Transferred it to a secondary and added 4lbs of cherries.

Of course it fermented like mental after that (it went fermental!)

So how does one compute what additional amount of alcohol is added overall by the fruit?

Apparently the sugar content of fresh cherries is 14% of it's weight. If that figures into the calculations???

One way would have been to add a scaled down amount of cherries to water and measure the sugar content with a refractometer or hydrometer. Otherwise you would be guessing how much sugar you added.

When I made my cherry stout I gave up... especially because I seemed to get like a gallon of cherry juice (only fit 4 gal into the carboy, but got 5 gal worth of bottles). The abv isn't that important to me though, so if you really want to know then I'm sure there are ways.

Back