WhiteLabs -vs- Wyeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite Yeast

• WhiteLabs

• Wyeast

• other: please specify

Results are only viewable after voting.

ApolloSpeed

Reaction score
Which do you prefer?

Like WLP300 -vs- 3068

or WLP400 -vs- 3638 or whatever is comparable

:tank:

I live in San Diego, White Labs is based here and it's the only brand of liquid yeast my LHBS carries. Doesn't mean I wouldn't use Wyeast if I had the opportunity.

I mainly asked this because I've tried the WLP300 3 different times, and hated the results. 1 time with extract only, 2 times with PM.

Both tasted skunky and sourish.....

The WLP400 is wonderfull though!!

I think I'm gonna try the 3638 and 3068 and see what I get.

the 300 is sour? it's all i use and i rarely get sour unless i use certain grains...i suppose with extract i used to. it entirely depends on the ingredients...are you using unmalted wheat or acid malt or something?

the 400 is a belgian wit yeast...not the same at all. the 300 is a german hefeweizen yeast...it should give you lots of banana and clove flavors.

but, again, i'd say your problem is elsewhere.

I have always been partial to Wyeast, but have used White Labs if I cannot source the Wyeast products I need.
For dry yeast I tend towards Nottingham, and keep plenty on hand.

I like White Labs but in winter I go with Wyeast because they will ferment colder. HOWEVER - Both are fantastic. They aer interchangeable as far as I'm concerned.

One problem is that White Labs costs a LOT more for LHBS to stock. Shipping and stocking are a big problem with glass viles.

Depends on what kind of beer I am making and what strain I am looking for. I probably use dry yeast more that either of those, but when you need liquid either one makes great products. I have used white labs more that Wyeast because that is the only one my LHBS carries, but I do think the smack packs are pretty cool.

One problem is that White Labs costs a LOT more for LHBS to stock. Shipping and stocking are a big problem with glass viles.

Aren't they plastic vials and not glass? It would be interesting to hear an LHBS owner chime in with a general comparison of what it's like to wholesale the WhiteLabs v Wyeast.

I had some issues with breaking the pouch inside the Wyeast smack pack.

yeah, tried my first Wyeast on my new batch of Bavarian wheat 3638.

That inside pouch was a ***** to break. I was sooo worried the whole thing would bust.

Both are great products. During the summer months when I order online, I prefer the Wyeast Smack Packs so I can make sure the heat didn't hurt the yeasties. Other than that, I use both.

I like White Labs but in winter I go with Wyeast because they will ferment colder. HOWEVER - Both are fantastic. They aer interchangeable as far as I'm concerned.

First Whitelabs vials are plastic and nearly unbreakable. Much tougher than the smack packs.

I can't imagine that there is much difference in transport and storage price. If anything Whitelabs should be cheaper. The vials are smaller and take up less room in shipping packages and in the cooler. Ofcourse the smack packs may be a little lighter.

I've used both with good luck. However I usually use dry yeast for costs and convenience.

Craig

LHBS only carries Wyeast. I've been happy with them so I've never looked to change. Its much easier to get liquid yeast from LHBS than taking the risk of ordering it.

I would have to vote for Whitelabs for the sole reason that I HATE Smack-packs! Wyeast's only saving grace, IMHO, is that you can only get Pacman yeast through them. If Whitelabs ever started carrying it, there's no way I would ever pound on another smack-pack ever again.:mad:

Back