what is the best way to resize the hole in a carboy bung

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surtur

Reaction score
I need help resizing my bung hole lol..
what is the best way to enlarge the hole in a carboy bung to fit a blow off tube?
should i just drill it out on a drill press? melt a larger hole with something really hot? try cutting it with a scalpel etc. anyone done this or what else have you done to make a blow off tube fit. it is a 3/4" ID x 1" OD tube.

I'll leave the obvious joke alone since i haven't had a beer yet today.
Why not just buy a legit blow off tube? They are cheap, and that way you won't destroy a bung...

want to use what i have.
plus i don't mind destroying stuff, I would just like to limit the amount of casualties by doing things trial and error so was hoping someone has done this already .

all that aside what is a legit blow off tube everything i see is homemade. and seems to vary in size.
if i have to ill get creative with what i have but would like to keep it simple.

For the bung hole, I've always used the same tubing as you use on a racking cane... It's a bit snug, but if you push hard enough you can get the tube into your bunghole... :eek: :D

Need some TP??

You could etiher drill it out [go slow or it will farr apart], our if your using a 3 piece airlock try and fit the tubing over the post in the middle of the airlock.

I have rezized one by using a pair of scissors like a step bit and boring it out

I don't [normally at least] use bungs in my fermenters anymore. With my setup, all blow-off tubes are 1/2" ID. :rockin: Same as the short piece that connects up the airlock (for when the tubes are not needed)... Worst case, I use zip-ties to hold the airlock to the tubing.

i will try freezing and drilling.
it is winter here so i can just set them out side for 1/2 hour or so.
i was going to try using a smaller hose and just hook it up to the airlock but after witnessing what happened in my bucket doing my hefe (used the bucket because my last brew i had a blow out) and didn't get around to doing the blow off tube.

but it had a 8-10 inch head of foam (krausen..sp) and in my glass carboy that would be a huge problem.

i will try freezing and drilling it tomorrow and see how it goes seems like it would help.

Let us know how that goes I need to drill out a bottle sized stopper to get some beer line through it for a BierMuncher Bottle Filler type attachment for my tap. I was considering just turning the drill bit by hand, slow going but less likely to destroy the stopper if you slip.

Edit: Just make sure your bit is good and sharp, and clean. ie don't use one that's been used to drill through sheet metal for the last decade.

Hope your drill press also goes slow, or has some good speed ranges available. I would try the slowest first to see how that goes. With a hard/frozen bung, you don't want to heat it up too fast.

That just sounds SO wrong... :eek:

Dremel makes a bit that works well on woods and plastics and rubber its a tungsten bit that costs about 15$ at most home improvement stores It won't load up but it will take off your hide in a hurry if you slip. Make a fixture to hold it by drilling out 2 pieces of wood in a vice to make 2 pieces of wood with half of the hole in each piece so you can squeeze the bung in a vice between the wood to hold it without crushing it. Hope this helps.

dremel bit.jpg

Back