Question on bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nwa-brewing

Reaction score
So my blueberry pomegranate is ready to bottle, it will need to age but on the whole it's ready. The current 5 gallon batch is dry but delicious, however i want to bottle about 2 gallons a little sweeter.

So i was thinking the day before bottling add my stabilizers metabisulfite and sorbate then bottle the following day, after about 3 gallons stop sweeten then bottle the rest, or should i wait a day after sweetening the last couple gallons?

I dose with kmeta and sorbate and backsweeten...document SG. Apply airlock. Check SG x3 over next 7-10 days to monitor for refermentation. If no change in SG you rack if you see sediment and bottle. The dry is good isn't it?

saramc said:
I dose with kmeta and sorbate and backsweeten...document SG. Apply airlock. Check SG x3 over next 7-10 days to monitor for refermentation. If no change in SG you rack if you see sediment and bottle. The dry is good isn't it?

So probably need to bottle what i want dry after stabilizing then back sweeten the rest and wait a bit to make sure no fermentation kicks back up?

Yes i was very surprised and pleased with the taste of it! Has a very... Full taste to it?

So i was thinking the day before bottling add my stabilizers metabisulfite and sorbate then bottle the following day, after about 3 gallons stop sweeten then bottle the rest, or should i wait a day after sweetening the last couple gallons?

As saramc said, wait before sweetening the stabilized batch. A good way to do it is to stabilize, wait three days. Then sweeten, and airlock. And wait at least three days (longer is even better). If there is NO restarting of fermentation, and the wine remains perfectly clear, it's ok to bottle.

The thing is, you really need to have a smaller carboy to let this wine sit in, or two 1 gallon carboys, or something to not allow headspace at this point.

6 32oz bottles of rw knudsen pure pomegranates juice
6 32oz bottles of rw knudsen pure blueberry juice
1-2 frozen grape juice
Brought up to 5 gallons and starting sg of 1.080

Let that ferment out then added about another pound or so sugar and let ferment out to make a little stronger alcohol wise :)

Used monchtrachet yeast, pectic enzyme and thats it i believe

Yooper said:
As saramc said, wait before sweetening the stabilized batch. A good way to do it is to stabilize, wait three days. Then sweeten, and airlock. And wait at least three days (longer is even better). If there is NO restarting of fermentation, and the wine remains perfectly clear, it's ok to bottle.

The thing is, you really need to have a smaller carboy to let this wine sit in, or two 1 gallon carboys, or something to not allow headspace at this point.

Was probably going to get some one gallons ;)

Thats good to know! I am fortunate enough to have a brew shop close by, write woe to me if they ever disappear!!!

Figures. All ours has is the 20 percent stuff. I looked on line and found just juice but no pure blueberry. I found out just because it says 100 percent juice it may not all be one kind of juice. Mike

Thanks I finally found some at a Walmart Super center about twenty five miles from here. You are right about it being all blueberry too. It seems kind of expensive until you do a little math. They say 3 lbs of berries for a 32 oz jug. You can even dilute to 50 percent and it is almost as cheap as most of the 20 percent. Mike

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer said:
Thanks I finally found some at a Walmart Super center about twenty five miles from here. You are right about it being all blueberry too. It seems kind of expensive until you do a little math. They say 3 lbs of berries for a 32 oz jug. You can even dilute to 50 percent and it is almost as cheap as most of the 20 percent. Mike

Glad you were able to find it!! Yea it's really not that bad in hind sight i could have used less.. Cause i basically have 18 pounds of blueberries in there lol

I bet the color really shines too. I have been noticing a lot of my wine is not as dark or thick looking as some I pour out of bottles I am washing. After the next two carboys get bottled I am going t try your recipe and one with the fusion juice. Mike

Back