Pressure cookers and dates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lex

Reaction score
"I apologize in advance if I have put this topic in the wrong section"

Hey guys, hows it goin?
first I want to thank you for taking the time to read my thread.

second, I want your advice on the best possible way to brew some wine . I have no access to brewing supplies. However, is it possible to ferment a must in a pressure cooker? I think it would work well since it can keeps air out and can let the CO2 escapes the vessel. in addition, it would be really easy to sanitize it by boiling some water, seal it and let the steam do the work. If yes, what kind of metal is best suited for the job? I think a pressure cooker made out of stainless steal would be the ideal choice, right?

third, I have no brewing yeast so I will have to use baker's yeast instead, and use -what I call- Dates honey as a nutrient. it is made in dates farms by putting dates in a vessel of some sort then applying tremendous weight pressure on dates until the honey is squeezed out, it has the same texture as honey but the flavor differs obviously. my question is: should I pasteurize the dates honey before using it?

sorry for the lengthy post and again, thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Cheers

Lex

Lex,
I think you should be able to use stainless, along with your dates and date honey. You could pasteurize the dates as you plan and allow the water and dates to cool.
Eventually you will need SO2 like campden tabs or potassium metabisulphite, and perhaps sorbate if you plan to backsweeten. Though, if you want to opt out of the sorbate you can low heat pasteurize...there is a sticky on the forum. If you have to go to local homebrew shop or order online, take the time to order wine yeast. Dry packets can be had for typically less than $1. Bread yeast will work if that is all you have access to, I simply do not like the taste of it in my wine.
Your finished product may have a sherry-like appearance, may appear oxidized due to use of dates...but I enjoy my date wine. Gorgeously golden.

Have fun!

Eventually you will need SO2 like campden tabs or potassium metabisulphite, and perhaps sorbate if you plan to backsweeten. Though, if you want to opt out of the sorbate you can low heat pasteurize...there is a sticky on the forum. If you have to go to local homebrew shop or order online, take the time to order wine yeast. Dry packets can be had for typically less than $1. Bread yeast will work if that is all you have access to, I simply do not like the taste of it in my wine.

Dear saramc
I appreciate taking the time to read and respond to my thread.
I do not have access to a HBS therefore obtaining those ingredients may prove hard if not impossible, and that also applies to the yeast as well. Moreover I don't know what are their role in the process an if they are essential or not.

In regard to the "low heat pasteurize" I'm afraid I'm not following you there, what is it for and where can I find this sticky please? :p I'm fairly new to forums and as a matter of fact this is my first ever post.

your help is greatly appreciated

Lex

========================
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Lex,
I am on system from my phone and see a STICKIES tab at top of page. I would recommend perhaps reviewing some basic in winemaking, along with brushing up on terms and additives...stickies should have this info, but if you do not find any you can get a nice overview at Jack Keller's website, http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/basics.asp

Plus there are usually online tutorials at ECKraus, grapestompers and other online vendors.

I do know if you use search engine on this forum there is a nice thread on Easy Stovetop Pasteurization, I just searched for pasteurization...for some reason I am unable to link you to that thread, but is gives a great overview.

Unsure as to your demographic location but many source products online. Welcome to the forum.

Lex,
I am on system from my phone and see a STICKIES tab at top of page. I would recommend perhaps reviewing some basic in winemaking, along with brushing up on terms and additives...stickies should have this info, but if you do not find any you can get a nice overview at Jack Keller's website, http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/basics.asp

Plus there are usually online tutorials at ECKraus, grapestompers and other online vendors.

I do know if you use search engine on this forum there is a nice thread on Easy Stovetop Pasteurization, I just searched for pasteurization...for some reason I am unable to link you to that thread, but is gives a great overview.

Unsure as to your demographic location but many source products online. Welcome to the forum.

Dear saramc
Thank you for your help! I'm just a bit nervous about brewing my first batch and I want it to turn out the best way possible. I'm an expat in the middle east and alcohol is scarce not to mention the sup[plies to make it. what inspired me were a couple of videos on youtube made by Craigtube of what is called inmate wine which is easy to make:

[ame]http://youtu.be/La38oQjdyPw[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/RWGxmdtybs0[/ame]

and thank you for welcoming me here :mug:

Lex...I was wondering if that is where you were. If you happen to get your hands on even one pkt of wine yeast, consider checking the stickies because there are great articles on how to harvest/store yeast established from just one packet. Can definitely stretch one yeast packet to many.

Check out Jack Keller, he gives a great overview and has loads of info. And with the forum and web at hand, we will get you thru. Are there chemists shops, sometimes apothecaries where you can ask if they sell potassium or sodium metabisulphite or sorbate, since they are used as preservatives?

For fun, you can put a latex balloon over the valve of the pressure cooker and watch it inflate as the ferment goes, when it deflates that is a good indicator that your wine is getting close. Good old 70s recipe for concord wine in gallon glass jug.

Lex...I was wondering if that is where you were. If you happen to get your hands on even one pkt of wine yeast, consider checking the stickies because there are great articles on how to harvest/store yeast established from just one packet. Can definitely stretch one yeast packet to many.

Check out Jack Keller, he gives a great overview and has loads of info. And with the forum and web at hand, we will get you thru. Are there chemists shops, sometimes apothecaries where you can ask if they sell potassium or sodium metabisulphite or sorbate, since they are used as preservatives?

For fun, you can put a latex balloon over the valve of the pressure cooker and watch it inflate as the ferment goes, when it deflates that is a good indicator that your wine is getting close. Good old 70s recipe for concord wine in gallon glass jug.

saramc

Sorry for the late response, I was away at a drilling sight (work) and had no internet access.

I did not think it would be easy to cultivate yeast but I will have to look it up, but still, getting my hands on brewing yeast will be tough.

Chemicals here are heavily regulated, they are really uptight around here, and regarding the balloon, I think it would be better to use a condom since they already come sanitized

Back