Daywalker IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeyWestBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Im brewing for Key Wests 3rd Annual Brewfest this september. [EDIT] Fudged on the intial OG FG entry...OG 1.086 FG 1.015 Est Abv 9.4%

GRAIN BILL ... mash @ 152-155 for an hour

15# 2 Row
1# Cara Pils
.5# Crystal 60

BOIL

*Boil for 30 mins before starting hop additions

1 oz Simcoe 60 min
.5 oz Simcoe 15 min
.5 oz Cascade 15 min
.25 oz Simcoe 10 min
.25 oz Cascade 10 min
1 oz Amarillo 5 min
.25 oz Simcoe 5 min
.25 oz Cascade 5 min

FERMENTATION temp 66 f

1 oz Cascade Dry Hop 10-14 days added day 17-21 days before adding
1 oz Amarillo Dry Hop 10-14 days added day 17-21 days before adding

ADJUNCT

Irish Moss
*1 oz fresh grated Ginger Root added at 15 mins left in boil
*Zest of 2 Blood Oranges and fruit of 4 Blood Oranges...Added with dry hop addition

So I didnt make this for brewfest since I made my Badfish IIPA instead. So after changing the name to Ben Jammin IPA and making some adjustments I brewed this up today and it smells good. Heres what I went with...

Batch size - 6gal
OG - 1.065-1.069
IBU - 45
Yeast - US05
Mash temp - 152
Ferm temp/time - 65 for 17 days primary 3-4 days secondary

15# 2Row
1# Crystal 60

Irish Moss @ 15 min
1 oz Simcoe @ 15min
1 oz Cascade @ 15min
1/2 tsp fresh ground peppercorn blend @ 12 min
1 oz Fresh grated ginger root @ 12min
1 oz Cascade @ 10min
1 oz Amarillo @ 10min
2 oz Amarillo @ 5min

*Added the zest of 2 blood oranges and the fruit of 3 into primary when transferring wort from boil kettle. After 17 days in primary Im going to rack to secondary and age for 3-4 days on spanish cedar.

image-3448430238.jpg

SpookyAlmond said:
As a ginger I take offense! Also, I'll take a pint!;)

Lol the funny part was I created the recipe in dedication to one of my best friends, who of course, is a red head. He also smokes cigars so I figured, blood orange(color of his hair), ginger, and age it on Spanish Cedar. Right now the smell is incredible I will say that much!!

Good idea! My brother in law used to give me crap for being ginger, and now his son has red hair (my sister and him both have brown). Good luck with the brew, let me know how it turns out.

SpookyAlmond said:
Good idea! My brother in law used to give me crap for being ginger, and now his son has red hair (my sister and him both have brown). Good luck with the brew, let me know how it turns out.

Haha you gotta love how fate works. Thanks, I plan to keep the thread updated with how things are going.

Should be ready to bottle in about 4 or 5 days so I figured I'd update the thread with a pic. You could definitely smell the blood orange when I was transferring onto the spanish cedar. So far so good.

image-2591056206.jpg

I got 6 gallons of this bottled up today. So far I think I let it sit on the spanish cedar a little too long. It over rides the hoppiness a little too much. Good thing is the cedar should start to die down with some time. I'll try one in a few weeks then let it age in the bottle a few months. Will post back with tasting notes.

There's one adjustment I would recommend. After 2 days on the spanish cedar start tasting samples every day. I let it ride for a week without trying it and I'm wishing I hadn't. I think 3-4 days is all it needed not a whole week. It was tasty as hell without the cedar too so you can drop that altogether if you want.

Latest posts

Back