Time really DOES heal all brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrummerBoySeth

Reaction score
Most of you already have a story similar to this, but I thought I would share mine. I brewed a batch of Spiced Hard Cider back in February. I miscalculated the amount of spices and the time in secondary with spices to achieve the flavor I was looking for. What I ended up with was WAY too spicy. I could not taste the cider at all. The cinnamon and clove flavors completely dominated and made the cider nearly undrinkable. It really was pretty gross.

I hid this cider in the back corner of my closet because I am very reluctant to dump any brew, no matter how bad it may seem at first. I pulled out a few bottles of this and put them in the fridge last week. Earlier this evening, I decided to drink one with my dinner to see how they had changed with time. To my surprise, the cider was borderline amazing! The spice flavor had faded significantly. It is now at a level close to what I had originally imagined. Additionally, there had previously been a slightly funky yeast character that did not blend well or lead to a "clean tasting" cider. This flavor is completely gone, and the brew has matured to almost exactly what I envisioned in the first place.

I think I may even enter it in an upcoming homebrew competition. I can't believe how much better it is now. It tastes like a completely different recipe.

Just thought I would share. :D

I know what you mean, Revvy. I have heard it preached here (and on other forums too!) a thousand times. Even though you may know in the back of your mind that it is good advice and the posters know this from experience, I can now add my voice to the chorus of those people who KNOW it is true from experience. I guess I am like many people in this way. Even though I have heard the benefits of aging over and over, I underestimated the real benefit until I experienced it first-hand.

Almost the same story for me and my Bopils...4 months later, the cinnimon had mellowed and it was fantstic!

If it was made right the first time, the aging process would have been taken out of the equation. Let me get this straight. If a brew is supposed to be ready to drink, in say 1 month, but at 1 month it tastes bad, due to mistakes in the process. Then, it's put away to age for a few more months and by luck it turns out. Aging cures poorly made brew? No. It's still a badly made brew, needing unnecessary aging to straighten out the poor process used. The failure is in the process, and if corrected, will eliminate the unnecessary aging. Or, there needs to be a realization, that certain brews do need to be aged out. Then, the aging thing won't become a glorious epiphany, linked to bad brew. Or, to a brew that naturally needs aging. The problem with the aging out philosophy, is that it can lead people to believe that it can correct a poorly made brew. The brewer may not know that the basic process being used may not be correct. Because they were told RDWHAHB, age it out, it will be OK. Then, instead of correcting the basic problem with the brewing process, the brew is continued to be made using the same poor processes. One day, the luck will run out. The only thing that corrects a poorly made brew is fixing the process that creates it. Then the unnecessary aging part, along with hoping it's going to turn out, goes away. Then, one can RDWHAHB.

I think it's generally believed by homebrewers that time cures all ills. It doesn't. There are some flaws that diminish and/or apparently disappear with time. There are also many flaws that are either i) not improved with time or ii) made worse with time. Wouldn't it be loooooovely were it not so? It's so.

If it was made right the first time, the aging process would have been taken out of the equation. Let me get this straight. If a brew is supposed to be ready to drink, in say 1 month, but at 1 month it tastes bad, due to mistakes in the process. Then, it's put away to age for a few more months and by luck it turns out. Aging cures poorly made brew? No. It's still a badly made brew, needing unnecessary aging to straighten out the poor process used. The failure is in the process, and if corrected, will eliminate the unnecessary aging. Or, there needs to be a realization, that certain brews do need to be aged out. Then, the aging thing won't become a glorious epiphany, linked to bad brew. Or, to a brew that naturally needs aging. The problem with the aging out philosophy, is that it can lead people to believe that it can correct a poorly made brew. The brewer may not know that the basic process being used may not be correct. Because they were told RDWHAHB, age it out, it will be OK. Then, instead of correcting the basic problem with the brewing process, the brew is continued to be made using the same poor processes. One day, the luck will run out. The only thing that corrects a poorly made brew is fixing the process that creates it. Then the unnecessary aging part, along with hoping it's going to turn out, goes away. Then, one can RDWHAHB.

So what you are saying is that his beer wasn't really better tasting after all of that aging?

Or are you suggesting that people be infallible in the first place?

I think it's generally believed by homebrewers that time cures all ills. It doesn't. There are some flaws that diminish and/or apparently disappear with time. There are also many flaws that are either i) not improved with time or ii) made worse with time. Wouldn't it be loooooovely were it not so? It's so.

100% agreed. Time doesn't heal ALL things. I've made some wonderful batches and some not so good batches. The not so good batches tasted well.... not so good at 3,6, & 9 months, and to infinity and beyond.

If you are waiting something to mellow then time is your biggest friend. If you having something weird going on them time usually magnifies those flaws in my opinion.

Vs. dumping out a batch I will take time any day. My first beer and my first two wines were really rather terrible out of the fermenter. The beer turned and there are now 4 bottles of it left. The wine.... hasn't, but I can still hold on to hope. For a while at least. I'm figuring a year at least.

Time doesn't heal all but it sure beats throwing something away from lack of patience.

I've come down on both sides of this - a honey mead we made a few years back has pretty much refused to ever improve Whether it was the recipe or our process, or whatever, it just still tastes pretty terrible. On the other hand, a cider I left in the carboy for 2 years (champagne yeast) due to laziness and inattention actually came out good, and that's even w/ me forgetting to replace the water in the airlock or put an airtight seal on it ( all the water evaporated out by the time we bottled it ). Color me shocked that it was okay.

I've come down on both sides of this - a honey mead we made a few years back has pretty much refused to ever improve Whether it was the recipe or our process, or whatever, it just still tastes pretty terrible. On the other hand, a cider I left in the carboy for 2 years (champagne yeast) due to laziness and inattention actually came out good, and that's even w/ me forgetting to replace the water in the airlock or put an airtight seal on it ( all the water evaporated out by the time we bottled it ). Color me shocked that it was okay.

I'm more shocked by the 2 years part. How do you misplace a carboy for that long :eek:

Yep. Thought my RIS was a failure (solventy and bitter in a bad way) and tried a bottle after about 4 months aging. It's now awesome, sweet enough and very complex. Too bad I only have 3 bottles left... lesson learned.

Yep. Thought my RIS was a failure (solventy and bitter in a bad way) and tried a bottle after about 4 months aging. It's now awesome, sweet enough and very complex. Too bad I only have 3 bottles left... lesson learned.

The hot, solventy flavor is one I have found to attenuate with time pretty reliably.

Wow, tool much?

The guy was just admitting to a brew that had a flaw that, rather than dump, he let age to see if a little age would allow the flaw to mellow out. And, as with many such flaws, it did.

Your wall of text adds nothing to the discussion.

Wow, tool much?

The guy was just admitting to a brew that had a flaw that, rather than dump, he let age to see if a little age would allow the flaw to mellow out. And, as with many such flaws, it did.

Thanks for noticing that, Stratslinger. I did not want to make a big deal out of it, but I thought I had made it pretty clear in my first post that I screwed up the brewing process and ended up with a less-than-good product as a result of my mistake. I chose to stash it away, and now I have a very drinkable product that I can enjoy rather than throw out.

I would have GREATLY preferred that I made the cider right the first time. Since I did not, I had to wait. Now it is pretty good. That is all I was trying to say.

I'm more shocked by the 2 years part. How do you misplace a carboy for that long :eek:

my LHBS guru was telling me last weekend that he was talking to a regular brewer who used to brew upwards of 20-30 gallons a month and used tons of corny kegs to distribute to his friends. he filled on korny with mead and didn't realize he left it among a bunch of emtpys in his garage. Stuff came up and he slowed down with the brewing and then found it five years later. Said the stuff is incredible and wasn't sharing with anyone cuz it was that good. Can't imagine what it was like finding it, thats like 5 christmas mornings all in one!

Most of you already have a story similar to this, but I thought I would share mine. I brewed a batch of Spiced Hard Cider back in February. I miscalculated the amount of spices and the time in secondary with spices to achieve the flavor I was looking for. What I ended up with was WAY too spicy. I could not taste the cider at all. The cinnamon and clove flavors completely dominated and made the cider nearly undrinkable. It really was pretty gross.

I hid this cider in the back corner of my closet because I am very reluctant to dump any brew, no matter how bad it may seem at first. I pulled out a few bottles of this and put them in the fridge last week. Earlier this evening, I decided to drink one with my dinner to see how they had changed with time. To my surprise, the cider was borderline amazing! The spice flavor had faded significantly. It is now at a level close to what I had originally imagined. Additionally, there had previously been a slightly funky yeast character that did not blend well or lead to a "clean tasting" cider. This flavor is completely gone, and the brew has matured to almost exactly what I envisioned in the first place.

I think I may even enter it in an upcoming homebrew competition. I can't believe how much better it is now. It tastes like a completely different recipe.

Just thought I would share. :D

Excellent to hear! I think I may have added too much spice to my pumpkin ale, I wont worry if in three weeks i find out i did. Thanks for posting!

Wow, tool much?

This +1

Cheers :mug:

Thanks for noticing that, Stratslinger. I did not want to make a big deal out of it, but I thought I had made it pretty clear in my first post that I screwed up the brewing process and ended up with a less-than-good product as a result of my mistake. I chose to stash it away, and now I have a very drinkable product that I can enjoy rather than throw out.

I would have GREATLY preferred that I made the cider right the first time. Since I did not, I had to wait. Now it is pretty good. That is all I was trying to say.

Hello, you should always be able to post your experiences here without being bashed, in-fact bashing is against the rules.

Thank You for your willingness to post your experience with us.

Cheers :mug:

my LHBS guru was telling me last weekend that he was talking to a regular brewer who used to brew upwards of 20-30 gallons a month and used tons of corny kegs to distribute to his friends. he filled on korny with mead and didn't realize he left it among a bunch of emtpys in his garage. Stuff came up and he slowed down with the brewing and then found it five years later. Said the stuff is incredible and wasn't sharing with anyone cuz it was that good. Can't imagine what it was like finding it, thats like 5 christmas mornings all in one!

If only I had such patience. I usually do but so far my beer hits 30 days in the fermenter and I get itchy to brew another batch. And of course, must "empty" some bottles for the next run.

Noticed an unexpected pellicle on my biere de table (vulnerable: very small beer, low alcohol and virtually no hops) which has been about twenty days in primary. Sampled it this morning. Not bad, except for some astringency. I'll let you know if time cures this beer. I give it about a 25% chance of being salvageable.

Back