URGENT: Need a Porter for Pastor Peter, Post-haste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RipUSMC

Reaction score
Ok, I'm back in the beginners forum. I made a foray out into the "adults" section and it didn't go well.

Here's the story: We have a friend, who is also a Pastor and also a MAJOR beer snob coming to stay with us in 2 months. I need a Porter that will kick him where the sun don't... well, where he isn't usually kicked (Which hopefully is never). I'm looking for some advice on folks favorite darker Porter recipes or something else in that general category you think would at least keep him occupied long enough to not ask me about all my sins (cause Lord knows they are too numerous to number... or something like that). I'll need some tips on how to snazz it up and make it sing. I'll take any cheap tricks you can think of to make it "the best Porter Pastor Peter has ever partaken in."

:mug:

Well... Its gonna depend on what kind of porters he is a fan of. I personally am a fan of the less hoppy, smooth porters. Around here its Deschute's Black Butte Porter, Odelle's Cutthroat Porter, or Crooked Fence's 3 Picket Porter. I enjoy adding Roasted Barley to my porters for a bit of a coffee taste. This last one I added coffee as well. Here is my base recipe. http://hopville.com/recipe/1254528. It turned out very nicely just needed a bit more coffee flavor. I upped the coffee i used from 2 tsp to 2 oz in the recipe to try next time. Or you could always brew up a pot of good stuff and add that once its cooled down some. Or you could look here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f126/ Good luck

- BBS

I'd go with a milk stout. Maybe a chocolate milk stout. Most examples are even considered porters by many people (not me,but still) since they often lack roasted barley. Hell, they often even lack black/patent malt as well, with the darkest malt used being chocolate or even pale chocolate. So, such examples lack the burnt/acrid character that many stouts have, resulting in very easy drinkers.

I made a really good robust porter a month ago and it turned out really nice.. But a good porter I'd say look into using marris otter as your base- otherwise pale 2 row will work. Throw some Munich, chocolate and pale chocolate malt and I actually think a small small addition of roasted barley wouldn't be a bad idea.. As for hops some northern brewer and then e. kent the rest of the way.. Ferment with a English strain.. Like WY1968 London esb.. I even used an american ale yeast.. 1056 n it worked pretty well..

Ok, I'm back in the beginners forum. I made a foray out into the "adults" section and it didn't go well.

Here's the story: We have a friend, who is also a Pastor and also a MAJOR beer snob coming to stay with us in 2 months. I need a Porter that will kick him where the sun don't... well, where he isn't usually kicked (Which hopefully is never). I'm looking for some advice on folks favorite darker Porter recipes or something else in that general category you think would at least keep him occupied long enough to not ask me about all my sins (cause Lord knows they are too numerous to number... or something like that). I'll need some tips on how to snazz it up and make it sing. I'll take any cheap tricks you can think of to make it "the best Porter Pastor Peter has ever partaken in."

:mug:

One of the best porters I ever had was St. Peter's Old Style Porter:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/296/838

If you can find a clone recipe for it, I think it might just be what you're looking for, though 2 months from mash to glass MIGHT be cutting things kinda close if you're bottling.

Found this (Posted by Pumbaa), it might be useful to you:
found this . . .

www.whatsbrewing.us - St. Peters Porter
A ProMash Recipe Report
BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------
15-B Porter, Brown Porter
Min OG: 1.040 Max OG: 1.050
Min IBU: 20 Max IBU: 30
Min Clr: 20 Max Clr: 35 Color in SRM, Lovibond
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.50
Anticipated OG: 1.052 Plato: 12.74
Anticipated SRM: 25.7
Anticipated IBU: 43.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------
Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 5.88 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.044 SG 10.90 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
85.7 9.00 lbs. Pale Malt (2-row) US-Cargill 71.27 2
4.8 0.50 lbs. Crystal Med 60L Pauls 69.19 60
4.8 0.50 lbs. Brown Malt Great Britain 65.04 70
4.8 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 69.19 475
Potential represented as Yield, Coarse Grind As Is.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Hallertau Northern Brewer Pellet 8.50 38.9 50 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 4.7 1 min.

Extras
Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.00 Oz Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----
WYeast 1084 Irish Ale

Good luck to you! :mug:
Regards, GF.

Search the boards for Revvy's Chocolate Mole porter...I just brewed an extract version and it's delicious. Needs aging time though, 2 months might be cutting it too close.

Search the boards for Revvy's Chocolate Mole porter...I just brewed an extract version and it's delicious. Needs aging time though, 2 months might be cutting it too close.

Thanks!!! I was thinking that a porter with mexican hot chocolate and peppers, created by a fellow pastor would be just the thing....

:rockin:

Revvy said:
Thanks!!! I was thinking that a porter with mexican hot chocolate and peppers, created by a fellow pastor would be just the thing....

:rockin:

Exact same thing that popped into my mind!

Ok, thanks for the great suggestions so far. Let me look them over, I'm not typically a porter person, but this has to be the exception.

RipUSMC said:
Ok, thanks for the great suggestions so far. Let me look them over, I'm not typically a porter person, but this has to be the exception.

I wasn't into porters or stouts for quite some time, so I devised recipes to gently "ease" me into acquiring the taste, as I wanted to be able to appreciate EVERY style of taste. It was a bit of work, but I got there. My first one was a delicious milk stout using Marris Otter, pale chocolate malt, and a bit of carafe special (which is debittered). Scrumptious.

I can't believe I'm going to do this, but I'm also going to recommend one of Revvy's - the Dragon Stout clone. Not sure if you've ever had Dragon Stout, but it's actually a "Tropical Stout" brewed in Jamaica. Many people would call this a porter (no roastiness), but it falls into the Foreign Extra Stout category. Very tasty, very smooth, and yet still very easy-drinking. You KNOW it is, when you consider that it (and other tropical stouts) are widely consumed in tropical countries while sitting in the sun! Other styles are more closely associated with cooler weather and winter.

I know Revvy posted some sort of Sri Lankan version he created, but I also know he found/posted a Dragon Stout clone recipe somewhere, based on research he did.

Okay, you all are great. I'm going to use this as an excuse for a full grain recipe. Let me see which of these my LHBS has the ingredients for and I'll give it a go.

Back