Another BIAB thread with pics!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erockomania

Reaction score
So this last weekend I brewed up batch of blonde ale(ish) with a couple buddys. The batch was 7.5gal and consisted of the following:

15.75lb 2row(great western)
1.5lb carapils

60min 2oz Saaz
30min .75oz Sorachi Ace
5min .75oz Sorachi Ace
5min juice from 2 lemons and 2 oranges (hand squeezed)
3min zest from all 4 fruits

10min whirlfloc addition

I double crushed the grain this time and I think it helped the eff.

Most of the time with a simple grain rinse, I'm somewhere around 70-72% eff. This time I was somewhere around 77% with a simple rinse.

Post boil: 1.064

I was guessing it wouldn't do much (double crush) so I was thinking I'd be under 1.060, but I did better than I thought with 1.064 so I added a bit of water and brought it down to 1.058. I didnt want the abv too high as this is kind of a lightish fruity ale that my wife and her friends won't be afraid to drink. ;)

I separated the wort into two carboys, a 6 and a 3 gallon better bottle so I could try a little Sorachi Ace dry hop for me and my friends :). It won't be much (.75oz) but it will add to the aroma a bit and make it a little earthier.

I'm using Wyeast Belgian Strong Ale yeast on the ladies version and safale 04 on the 3gal, dry hopped, guys version.

I also plan on adding several ounces of orange and lemon zest at about a week or so in, but I'm not entirely sure on how I should treat the zest before adding to the primaries. Thoughts?

And for the pics of brew day...

doughing in...

doughin.jpg

rinsing the grain (and burning my frickin hands... that's me on the left and my bro on the right) at this point in the photo I'm just squeezing the last bit out. We rinsed with 175deg water, slowly.

using a veggie rack ($12) to rest the grain while we rinse and squeeze...

grainrinse.jpg

when all is said and done, here is the 6gal women's version...
(I made a starter for the belgian strong ale yeast on friday... this thing took off 2 hours after pitching)

I added the water bath to keep the ferm temp closer to 66-68deg.

inthe6.jpg

Is that Bag a pillow case or old sheet?? great idea I suppose if the weave isn't too tight. I am about to do a BIAB with 19.5 lbs of grain and I am worried about my bag breaking when I lift it out.

Is that Bag a pillow case or old sheet?? great idea I suppose if the weave isn't too tight. I am about to do a BIAB with 19.5 lbs of grain and I am worried about my bag breaking when I lift it out.

use swiss voile, I've lifted twice that weight with my bag numerous times, no issue once the sewing is sound, that said my wife has a small home sideline making the bags for people and uses an overlocker to do the seams.

My grain bill dry, was 14KG on my pilsener recently.

This was a voile curtain that I cut down to size. :) works great. I've had almost 30lbs of grain in there before and it held up just fine.

Back