Likely-ridiculous question re: blow-off tubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borden

Reaction score
I'm fairly confident I can answer this myself, but when we're talking about 5 gallons of Christmas gifts (and winter warmth), I can't help but double-check:

I'm about to brew my third batch of beer. I currently have two beers in primary fermentation: one in an Ale Pail with an airlock, and the second in a carboy with a large blow-off tube going into a bucket with One-Step & water.

This week I want to start a Christmas ale, so I have a good 3 months to let it mature and come into its own. This is an extract kit from Midwest Homebrewing here in MN. In any case, it looks to be a fairly high-gravity brew. I live on the second floor of an apartment building, so I'm trying to be very cautious about possible messes, particularly since I'm sometimes gone for 12-14 hours a day and could very quickly lose my damage deposit.

Given my concerns about messes, I'm planning on using a blow-off tube from the carboy, rather than an airlock. The question is: can I have the blow-off tube go into the same bucket (with One-Step and water) as the other blow-off tube?

I assume the answer is yes, given that the water is just acting as a seal. But being new to homebrew (I started two weeks ago), I thought it best to double-check.

Oh, and since I'm already writing this, I'll note that I do have an empty Ale Pail with airlock sitting around, but I'm absolutely petrified about spillover from overactive fermentation. Am I just being too paranoid?

Great! That's all I needed to hear. :D Can't wait to brew this thing... cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger on top of ~10 pounds of LME. It's going to be a warm winter here in Minnesota!

Yep, no worries. You can do more than 4 if you want too

Only 2 in that pic, but at 1 point I had 4 tubes going into the container(used an airlock when the other 2 were racked to secondary which is why there is only 2 now)
P1110175.jpg

Back