Help/Advice with Wyeast 1007 German Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iacrobat

Reaction score
I've got a batch in my primary that I brewed 11 days ago using Wyeast 1007 (I have never used this yeast). It fermented at about 62-63 degrees. It finished fermenting a couple of days ago and I sampled it yesterday. It is very cloudy, which I expected because of the yeast. There is also a lot of sulphur aroma, which I also expected, but not so much since it was at the higher end of the temperature range for the yeast.

I am trying to decide what to do, whether to rack it, or if it should sit longer in the primary. I also have the option to put in in my fridge. Any advice for dealing with the clarity and the sulphur? Does the sulphur fade with time?

It is an orange-honey ale. My gravity is down to 1.015 from 1.059, so I am happy with that. I have read a bit here about homebrewers eschewing racking their beer, so i think I am going to leave it another week in the primary and see how it is. Then i can cold crash it and rack to secondary with some orange peel for a few days. Any thoughts on that?

The 1007 strand is basically an altbier yeast. Although it is a top fermenting ale yeast, it was tolerant to being lagered due to it's extremely low flocculating properties. So once you're done fermenting it, I'd rack to secondary and lager for 3 to 4 weeks. And don't worry about pitching more yeast for conditioning. This yeast will do fine. At the end, you'll get a crystal clear beer.

Amazing, thank you! I have never lagered anything and had not intended to. I just happen to have a fridge free for the next 2 months and now I am excited to do this!

:mug:

Back